Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've enjoyed Flickr pro so far, and like the daily stats, but am wondering what is the next direction in terms of getting something more professional looking for potential clients.

I don't really want to pay someone to generate a site for me that I can't edit myself down the road.

There seems to be plenty of ads touting easy customizable website services in the back of camera magazines, but I'd prefer the advice of someone who's actualy chosen a particular route for less biased opinion.

For now Flickr is great.

09-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'll add another vote for SmugMug. They have a very good attitude and are prompt about giving you a hand if you get stuck on some technical issue. Note that I use the paid account, IIRC it's about $30/yr

NaCl(good vibes and good support)H2O

Me too .... great site and support and I went for the paid option before the end of the trial as I was that pleased with the service.

Neil
09-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Or, get hosting for your own site with and use something like plogger.com (open source software) to drive your galleries.
09-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #49
Inactive Account

SmugMug Pro User, and couldn't be happier. Awesome site, awesome features, awesome people who know how to treat customers properly. Link to my site in my sig.

-J

09-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #50
Inactive Account

I use photobucket, it's easy to down load and does do the resizing.
09-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I just pulled the trigger on SmugMug Pro last week. I also run Gallery2 software on my own dedicated server.
I looked hard at both Zenfolio and SmugMug and they were about dead even on features-price in the end SmugMug won because of the massive support framework and people they have in place.
09-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I just pulled the trigger on SmugMug Pro last week. I also run Gallery2 software on my own dedicated server.
I looked hard at both Zenfolio and SmugMug and they were about dead even on features-price in the end SmugMug won because of the massive support framework and people they have in place.
Thanks - I've decided I will use SmugMug when my pbase subscription runs out. I'm beginning to learn the pbase interface, and though the hosting site lacks features, it is comparatively fast-linking and retains EXIF info.

09-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I set up a trial account at smugmug, and I really like it so far. So I checked the expiration date on my flickr pro account, and as long as I keep my AT&T Yahoo DSL service, the flickr pro account is free. So I may just do a Smugmug account too if I still like it after the trial is up !!
10-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
I've enjoyed Flickr pro so far, and like the daily stats, but am wondering what is the next direction in terms of getting something more professional looking for potential clients.

I don't really want to pay someone to generate a site for me that I can't edit myself down the road.

There seems to be plenty of ads touting easy customizable website services in the back of camera magazines, but I'd prefer the advice of someone who's actualy chosen a particular route for less biased opinion.

For now Flickr is great.
For the future you can start looking at album software and servers.
10-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
...what is the next direction in terms of getting something more professional looking for potential clients.
I use redbubble.com for my best work and work that I wish to make available for purchase. I could go into detail about the site but I would rather you do so to form your own opinion.

Here is the link to my page if you wish to see a working page, otherwise just click the link above to enter the sites home page.Thomas Sielaff
10-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #56
Inactive Account

Photobucket.com for me. It does what it says on the tin.

Unfortunately, with the rise of flickr, they've started to get on the flickr bandwagon - you can add tags and what have you now. I don't like it, as I don't want the site to be slowed down because fifteen-year-old pop tart's sending pictures of herself to her friends.

Incidentally, when deciding on what service to use, I went to Imageshack on two non-consecutive days, and both times their whole site was down for maintenance. When googling for pics, too, I've found run into more "Picture Not Available" messages from Imageshack than anywhere else.

I can't stand flickr; it seems to breed wànkers. The tags make it great to look at what, say, a certain film in a certain developer looks like, but the comments are your bog-standard anonymous internet posts. "OMG, bokeh!" "kawaaai!!1" and "u shuld get a nkion", things of that ilk. I don't know if you can turn comments off, or that stupid thing where people can highlight past of the picture and post a comment over them, but it just seems like it was made by mac users. Flickr pro always makes me chuckle, though.