Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image Hosting - who do you use?

[Edit: Thread posted in wrong Forum and is duplicated in Everything Else - Moderator please remove this thread]

Hi: Now that I am actually posting images it seems I should host them elsewhere and link them here to save our storage, etc.

I've tried
  • ImageShack - strips EXIF; challenging to use
  • Photo.net - A comment containing only the word "Hah!" was pulled by Mods (reply to ad hominem attack by obnoxious, anonymous Canikonian, but [he] has 10,000 posts, so I got pulled). Still lurking, but the image comments suddenly became personal, too.
  • Pbase - good, but slow, steep learning curve and I'm having trouble keeping the links live here.
Who do you use for ease, cost, hotlinks, flexibility, etc.

I don't really need C&C functions - I can get that here and prefer to - just simple, inexpensive hosting and hotlinking, with capacity to grow as I upload more and better images.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-05-2008 at 10:01 AM.
07-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Picasa. Best I have seen so far.
07-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use flickr. For a fairly small fee, $25 a year I believe, unlimited uploads, 20 mb PER FILE limit. So far I have had no problems.
07-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #4

i'm a cheapstake!

aside from using Multiply, i've also an account with Photobucket...

so far it serves my purpose

07-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Flickr free account, kinda upset once I reached my 200 picture limit I didn't know existed until I got a warning, the old images remain just they're not visible again unless you pay.

Besides that my own website.
07-03-2008, 05:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
For bulk stuff, I still use a couple of free Flickr sites. For the keepers in the crowd and the sake of a better presentation, which I need from time to time I have been using ZenFolio.

woof
07-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #7

Smugmug (gallery link in signature). $39.95p/a for unlimited jpg/gif/png, a bit more if you want a personalised url.

07-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

for forum linkage, i've been using PhotoBucket
07-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use three different hosting methods. For things of interest to a few and unlikely to generate a ton of traffic, I shove 'em on my old laptop at home which is working as a linux web/backup server for me. For general use I use imageshack which I like because it doesn't manipulate my photos (resize etc.). For my photo gallery site consisting of Lightroom generated galleries, I use the free hosting service 110mb.com.
07-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Forum Member

SmugMug pro level.
Tried the others and until i find a lot better...... i will stay with them
07-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

For linkage on here I use fileden.com. Basic stuff with a few ads when signing on, but does the job.
Also use fotopic.net for on-line albums etc.
07-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all and thanks for the replies - SmugMug and Photbucket seem to be the most common between my two threads (I thought this wasn't going to be approved, but Adam added it to the KnowledgeBase anyway - I duped it in Everything Else).

For now I'm going to get my value out of pBase - I just have to spend the time to learn it - ImageShack makes me crazy. When I have enough quality images to warrant a real display site I'll probably move the good stuff to SmugMug. Flickr and Yahoo frighten me - expecially if Microsoft buys Yahoo.
07-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duplicate of my other post...

Hey Paul,

I'll second SmugMug: I have a Pro Account and it's fully customized.

You are welcome to take a look at my site, but be advised I spent two full weekends and the evenings of the week in between working on the changes. Then a few more hours here and there to tweak things a bit more...

Cheers,
Marc
07-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
SmugMug

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hey Paul,

I'll second SmugMug: I have a Pro Account and it's fully customized.

You are welcome to take a look at my site, but be advised I spent two full weekends and the evenings of the week in between working on the changes. Then a few more hours here and there to tweak things a bit more...

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks Marc. Two weekends and some evenings doesn't seem TO ME like a lot of time to spend on a proper display site, especially since I would want it to be right, and I have maybe a quarter century left to fill it up with images.
07-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Thanks Marc. Two weekends and some evenings doesn't seem TO ME like a lot of time to spend on a proper display site, especially since I would want it to be right, and I have maybe a quarter century left to fill it up with images.
Nice...

To be fair, I have a solid understanding of HTML, some Javascript, etc. so that helped get things rolling along, but if you leverage the support forums, they're really good.

I learned HTML in Notepad...