Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 11:34 PM   #1

Kx won't turn on occasionally (batteries?)

My Kx will some times take 5-6 tries to turn on after I flip the power switch on-off repeatedly.
The weird fact is that some times while the screen and power light is on and pushing the shutter button will shoot photos but the screen is off and the text in the viewfinder is off!

I checked with several batteries and also cleaned the connector as proposed in another topic here but no result.
The batteries were in good condition with voltage for each from about 1.42V to 1.50V (checked with my charger).

08-28-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aerogator Quote
My Kx will some times take 5-6 tries to turn on after I flip the power switch on-off repeatedly.
The weird fact is that some times while the screen and power light is on and pushing the shutter button will shoot photos but the screen is off and the text in the viewfinder is off!

I checked with several batteries and also cleaned the connector as proposed in another topic here but no result.
The batteries were in good condition with voltage for each from about 1.42V to 1.50V (checked with my charger).
Could be a faulty on/off switch that's close to dying.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2015, 12:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Try spraying a little bit of switch cleaner in the gap around the switch...
08-28-2015, 01:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Try spraying a little bit of switch cleaner in the gap around the switch...
Can I unscrew the switch and clean it with some alcohol (or vinegar?) or will I have to take the whole camera apart?

08-28-2015, 04:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Can I unscrew the switch and clean it with some alcohol (or vinegar?) or will I have to take the whole camera apart?
Never tried that , but had a sticky shutter at one stage and switch cleaner fixed it. With time I suppose quite a bit of grime accumulates underneath the switch, that might cause contact problems ...
08-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think that those are two separate problems,
both of which (or similar) I have experienced with my two K-x cameras.

If the camera doesn't fire up when you turn the switch,
then it may be a problem with the switch, as others have mentioned,
but it may also be a problem with the batteries making contact with the connections.
Be sure to keep the ends of the batteries clean.
Also, some batteries are a little shorter than others,
and may not make such good contact.
It may help to gently bend the contacts so that they press harder on the ends of the batteries.

The other problem shows up in one of my five-year old K-x cameras.
After some use, the screen will stop displaying.
There may be some separation of the rear cover,
so you might try pressing the surround of the screen and back panel.

Ultimately, these K-x cameras have already lasted longer
than we should normally expect for electronic equipment.
You can get a new K-50 for around $300 now,
and with the adapter, it can use the AA batteries.
So it may be time for an upgrade,
if you need your camera to be fully reliable.
08-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I think that those are two separate problems,
both of which (or similar) I have experienced with my two K-x cameras.

If the camera doesn't fire up when you turn the switch,
then it may be a problem with the switch, as others have mentioned,
The camera fires up after 5-6 times but not fully working. For example
some times only the power light will turn on without the screen
some times the power light and the screen won't turn on but the autofocus and shutter button will work (???)
some times if I am lucky, power switch and screen will turn on
Today I managed to clean the switch and the battery connectors with alcohol but no luck...

My last hope is that it is the batteries fault...
All of the batteries I tested were bought 3 years ago (sanyo eneloops) but my charger indicator says all of them are about 2000mah and 1.40-1.50V fully charged
I ordered some new ones to give it a try.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Ultimately, these K-x cameras have already lasted longer
than we should normally expect for electronic equipment.
You can get a new K-50 for around $300 now,
and with the adapter, it can use the AA batteries.
So it may be time for an upgrade,
if you need your camera to be fully reliable.
I was thinking it was time to upgrade my pentax. I already have 5 lenses so I wont change brand.
K50 has really good specs but can you view the focus rectangle through the viewfinder??

---------- Post added 08-28-15 at 10:02 AM ----------

Also would your recommend the k50 or the ks1? I am looking for something in this price range

08-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The camera fires up after 5-6 times but not fully working. For example
some times only the power light will turn on without the screen
some times the power light and the screen won't turn on but the autofocus and shutter button will work (???)
some times if I am lucky, power switch and screen will turn on
Today I managed to clean the switch and the battery connectors with alcohol but no luck...

My last hope is that it is the batteries fault...
All of the batteries I tested were bought 3 years ago (sanyo eneloops) but my charger indicator says all of them are about 2000mah and 1.40-1.50V fully charged
I ordered some new ones to give it a try.

I was thinking it was time to upgrade my pentax. I already have 5 lenses so I wont change brand.
K50 has really good specs but can you view the focus rectangle through the viewfinder??

---------- Post added 08-28-15 at 10:02 AM ----------

Also would your recommend the k50 or the ks1? I am looking for something in this price range
The specs of both are available ,just look under "Cameras" on top of this page, or Google it...

The first thing I always do is Google "known problems (product name)". If you do that you might see some problems that you might or might not have to deal with if you buy the K-50, depending on your luck. Personally I had to many problems with my K-30, which is almost identical on the inside as the K-50, to take a chance on the K-50, I'd rather go for the older K-5iis which you might pick up for a steel somewhere, or the Ks1 of which I know nothing except that you do not find as many "known problems" if you search the web for it...
08-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Based on the sterling performance my K-50 has been delivering since November 2013,
I would certainly recommend it. The high ISO performance is especially good.
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I'd rather go for the older K-5iis which you might pick up for a steel somewhere
The advantage of the K-50 over the K-5 variants is its focus peaking,
which I've found to be really helpful for manual focus lenses.

Also, its ability to use AA batteries is important for me.
I have other devices that use them,
and don't want to have to carry several chargers when I'm traveling.