Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2015, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

If you're using the built-in flash it's not really a lens issue. The 180thsec max sync speed applies to all lenses with a 'non High SpeedSync' flash fitted. The other guys have explained this well above.

You're misunderstanding the actual technical limitation, which is the focal plane shutter max sync speed.

The lens type is only an issue in terms of what auto-flash exposure mode you can use. As said earlier, a non-aperture coupled lens (ie m-type) will cause the built-in to fire at full power ...use the control methods explained earlier instead (aperture and isos). With some flashguns you can use 'Auto-A' mode to get automatic flash exposure, even with m lenses.

To access shutter 'speeds' faster than 180th sec with a flash activated requires an HSS capable flash set to High Speed Sync mode. This means for now at least a dedicated system flashgun. You also need to take control of the shutter time value directly by switching to camera M or Tv exposure modes (Tav also) and specifically setting your required shorter time value (eg 1/500th, 1/1200 etc).

Click through the link in my signature and grab the flash guide ... There's a section on HSS as well as plenty of info on lens and mode compatibility matters.

Last edited by mcgregni; 08-28-2015 at 05:55 AM.
08-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
mcgregni,
thank you !
08-28-2015, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

You're welcome ... Hope you get things working how you want. There's been some great input on this thread already. I'm always amazed at the knowledge and experience that comes through regularly, but it only comes through when the questions get asked ... So keep asking!
08-28-2015, 06:07 AM   #19

Original Poster
I very rarely use flash. Now, my friend will make christening of his daughters (twins) and he asked me to take some photos in church.
He don't want to use professional photographer and I'm afraid for quality of these important photos.
This is the main reason for question. the christening will be tomorrow I'll show you photos after that. I hope they will be with good quality.

08-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To summarize:
  • With the exception of flashes that support HSS, shutter speed will limited to 1/180s or lower if a flash unit is detected by the camera. This includes the the built-in flash.
  • Automated flash exposure using P-TTL is limited to lenses having the "A" contacts on the mount
  • If "A" contacts are not detected, the built-in flash will limited to full power manual mode
  • With the built-in flash in manual mode, you may calculate the correct exposure aperture setting using ISO and distance and guide number. On the K-50 the guide number is 12(ISO 100, meters) for the built-in flash.

Steve
08-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Another good summary Steve! Hey, can you help me out over in my 'Flash Guide Development' thread and check some P-TTL workings with an F and FA series lenses. I'm really hoping we can nail this question over the mounts contacts and whether F and A series lenses can possibly be compatible with P-TTL ....:
08-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Hey, can you help me out over in my 'Flash Guide Development' thread and check some P-TTL workings with an F and FA series lenses. I'm really hoping we can nail this question over the mounts contacts and whether F and A series lenses can possibly be compatible with P-TTL ....:
Ok...I use both, though I can only test full P-TTL with my Sigma EF610 DG Super.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-28-2015 at 12:47 PM.
08-29-2015, 02:14 AM   #23

Original Poster
so, all was close to ok

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1Lk7LJ8cP2o/VeF2NdJQKyI/AAAAAAAAAc8/aDXDp...2/IMGP3341.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-w6R2BUybjzo/VeF2RWExTlI/AAAAAAAAAdE/gviEu...2/IMGP3353.JPG

08-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I think those shots are pretty good, especially for the considerable limitations of the onboard flash.

External flashes with full P-TTL automation are nice but expensive. You might look at external flashes with no automation, just some power, a head that you can move into different positions and settings to adjust the power. You'll have to learn how to set it yourself but It's not that hard with some extra time. With practice you can get more interesting effects than relying on automation, and understand the process.
08-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

You got rid of shadows over eyes, put catchlights in them - good job!

Don't be afraid to alter the color balance of the LHS of the second photo in PP. It's yellow from the candle, your flash on the RHS was a truer white.
08-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #26

Original Poster
thank you. I'll edit them . this is my first time - I have never before shot events