Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

CPF Ruined by heat?

I had left my camera bag in my hot car, minus the camera thank goodness. I had a Hoya and a Tiffen Circular Polarizer filters in the bag. They sat in the hot car albeit not in the direct sun for 2-3 hours. It was sunny and the outside temperature was in the low 80s Farenheit. A few days later I go to use one of the filters and I can't see any difference as a I turn the polarizer. I thought I had grabbed a UV filter that I never use but it was actually the polarizer filter. The filter itself looks fine. It's still a bit darker than the UV filter and there doesn't seem to be any visual damage to either the Hoya or Tiffen but they just do not work as they used to. So is this a common knowledge thing? I can't seem to find anything about heat and polarizer filters but are they subsceptible to the temperatures in a hot car? I could understand it if I left the filter out on my dash cooking in the direct sunlight but it just seems odd to me that they ruined in a camera bag that itself wasn't in the direct sunlight.

08-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

More likely you were just pointing it in a direction where it has no effect -- they only work at a perpendicular angle to the sun.
08-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
More likely you were just pointing it in a direction where it has no effect -- they only work at a perpendicular angle to the sun.
Actually I tried different areas of the sky and specifically I tried it against reflections on glass where I usually can easily see a difference. I also tried stacking the two together to see if they would create a cheap variable neutral density filter but they do nothing. Though I'm not sure if two circular polarizers stacked will create that effect. Think maybe one has to be a linear polarizer. But anyways I'm not sure why neither of them is working like they used to. I have used them successfully in the past.
08-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've never heard of a Hoya or Tiffen filter doing that. Although I might expect this from a filter made of gelatin, Hoya and Tiffen Circular Polarizers, are normally made of glass. and should be able to handle much higher temperatures than what your car would get even in direct sunlight. are you sure you have genuine Hoya and Tiffen glass filters, or could they be fakes.

Regardless, The inside of a car can easily reach 150 or more in direct sunlight. Basically it becomes a solar oven. it is good to know that this might happen if you leave your equipment in the car on a hot day.

The moral of the story, don't leve your kids, pet's, or equipment in a hot car.

PS, if you have to leave your equipment in the car, put it in a ice chest. Even without any ice in it, it will provide a buffer between the hot air in your equipment.

---------- Post added 08-29-15 at 10:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AndyB Quote
Actually I tried different areas of the sky and specifically I tried it against reflections on glass where I usually can easily see a difference. I also tried stacking the two together to see if they would create a cheap variable neutral density filter but they do nothing. Though I'm not sure if two circular polarizers stacked will create that effect. Think maybe one has to be a linear polarizer. But anyways I'm not sure why neither of them is working like they used to. I have used them successfully in the past.
stacking two CP together in their normal orientation will not have any effect on the light. placing them front side to front side, should act as a neutral density filter. Placing them back to back will be just like stacking them in the normal orientation.

08-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try this:
08-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Try this:
Or just rotate it in front of an LCD monitor.
08-30-2015, 12:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Polarizing filters are essentially a piece of plastic glued between two pieces of glass. I have seen two polarizers that de-laminated, one being a Nikon brand filter. The only one I tested was the Nikon one and it still worked as a polarizer, it just reduced the sharpness of the image.
08-30-2015, 01:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Polarizing filters are essentially a piece of plastic glued between two pieces of glass. I have seen two polarizers that de-laminated, one being a Nikon brand filter. The only one I tested was the Nikon one and it still worked as a polarizer, it just reduced the sharpness of the image.
I had the same to an otherwise very nice B+H CPL filter, and it wasn't left in a hot place.