Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #1

KS-1 Kit lens not working properly after using manual lens

Further to my last post 'Problem with View Finder mode' and reply to Adam on 25.8.15 where I stated that I was going to reset all the camera settings back to their default values, go back to basics and start all over again I still have a problem! I'll outline the sequence of events that I think may be the root cause of the problem.

As I said before I am a Newbie. After using my two kit lenses successfully I moved on (perhaps a bit too enthusiastically!) and tried an old Pentax ME Super film camera 50mm f/1.7 lens and a Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 lens - both were given to me. I set each of them up as instructed and for a while all was well. Then when I put my kit lens back on I found that if I used AF I was only able to take two pictures before the shutter would stop firing. The shutter will release on MF but with a very slow shutter speed.

Both manual lens work as they should (as far as I know!) and the problem seems to be confined to the kit lenses. To me, it's almost as if the camera still thinks it has a manual lens mounted.

I would really appreciate any help from any long-suffering, more experienced photographers and thank you in advance.

08-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #2

Its happen to me as well on my Pentax K-r!!
08-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Morning,

Switching back to AF lenses in and of its self should not create a problem. When you say that the shutter does not fire, it sounds like a lack of light to me. The manual lenses you were using were faster than the AF lens (f1.7 and f2.8). So, I would start there. I don't know what type of lighting situation you were in, but I would try a couple of things.
  • Open up the aperture all the way. Does the camera take a picture?
  • Increase the ISO, letting the camera use a higher level of sensitivity. Does the camera take a picture?
Also, the AF system is based on contrast detection. I have been out in the desert where I though that I was in a lot of light - even though I was in the shade, and the camera would not take an image (in AF) - simply because it did not detect a sufficient change in contrast within the frame, so nothing. I switched to manual mode and essentially overrode the camera to take the picture.

When the camera takes a couple of pictures then stops - it detected enough light and everything else to focus and shoot, then for some reason it detected a change - thus stopped taking a picture until (depending on what shooting mode you are currently in) you make a change - open up the aperture, increase the ISO or slow down the shutter. If the AF is hunting, that indicates that it really can't lock on auto focus - not enough contrast difference in order to determine if it's in focus or not.

It's frustrating when it occurs, but it will happen with any camera (based on its settings at the time). It does take an understanding of the camera.

When all else fails, go to green mode where the camera controls everything and try to take a shot.

08-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure which options exist in the KS1 but in most of the Pentax cameras you can set the camera to fire when focus is confirmed (default) or you can turn that off. If you are able to turn that off does it fire longer/more reliably?