Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #1

Sigma Lens Confusion for the K20D

Hi just could not resist this K20D today but am using my Sigma 18-50mm that came with the *ist D

Most or nearly all of my pics are Landscape orientated and was hoping for some clarity for both a lens and for me too.
This is where I went to search after some advice on lenses today --->>>

Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Legacy Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Suggestions have been towards a Sigma rather than a Pentax. And as I have a Pentax 55-300mm that range is covered as I really like the results.
Looks like we may be looking at --->>> 16-??? or 17-??? where of course price is a factor.

And before the Ebay or Forum Search begins I would TRULY appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers for Years
Colin

08-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and it's really good.

But Pentax also have a variety of suitable lenses from the 16-45, 16-50, 20-40, et al. Pick a price point.
08-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank You

That was the First suggestion I got today after getting the camera

Cheers fro years
Colin
08-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
Hi just could not resist this K20D today but am using my Sigma 18-50mm that came with the *ist D

Most or nearly all of my pics are Landscape orientated and was hoping for some clarity for both a lens and for me too.
This is where I went to search after some advice on lenses today --->>>

Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Legacy Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Suggestions have been towards a Sigma rather than a Pentax. And as I have a Pentax 55-300mm that range is covered as I really like the results.
Looks like we may be looking at --->>> 16-??? or 17-??? where of course price is a factor.

And before the Ebay or Forum Search begins I would TRULY appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers for Years
Colin
So you're looking for a walkaround lens recommendation? The Sigma 17-70mm "C" is a great choice, as is the Pentax 16-85mm and Pentax 18-135mm. Each has a different blend of performance and versatility; refer to our in-depth lens reviews for detailed info. There are also the DA* 16-50mm, Sigma 17-50mm, and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 which have a little more performance and less reach.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you Adam

Believe the reason the Sigma 17-50mm cropped up today was after what I had heard about the motor??? on the Pentax 16-50mm that impressed me no end after comparing K10D Vs K20D on snapsort and saw the amount of detail from the Pentax 16-50mm

Now I have to look at prices on Ebay for the Sigma 17-70mm Pentax 16-85mm and Pentax 18-135mm and the Tamron 17-50mm

Thank you so much

Cheers for Years
Colin
08-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX Macro and it is very sharp however for landscape you will need something wider and I would not recommend this lens though my copy is very sharp and AF is very precise on K-3, prior on K-5II I was slightly disappointed but when it worked it worked very well. In low light condition it locks and do not have any problems when using flash (Metz 52) and is very accurate in terms of exposure when P-TTL is used. If landscape is your purpose than Sigma 8-16mm it will be excellent but if you look for "Jack-of-all-trades" kind of lens than what Adam said but I will look only for Sigma 17-70mm or Pentax 16-85mm. Hope this helps.
08-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax 17-70 is also good. Quite a load of good lenses. Maybe slow down a sec and explain what is important to YOU. Fast f stop speed? Quiet focusing? Lightweight? Small? Image quality? Reliability? Price? Autofocus?
What do you rank these as in terms of importance? What types of things do you like to shoot?

K20D is an older camera with more limited options for high ISO shots than the latest generation cameras to me this means fast f stop needs to be more of a priority if you shoot low light or action.

08-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you Uncle Vanya

Here we go - In order of Importance - Price, IQ, Auto Focus & Reliability,
Most of what I shoot are rivers lakes landscapes and a few in town & local attractions etc too.

What must be said here is that Post Processing is a vital part of where I focus on to emphasize the many colors of & in an image. Then it is off to the races so to speak where the processing leads to playing with emphasize artifax & Chromatic aberations etc while taking the image inot different types of painting effects.
Quite often resembling some of the Infrared variations & effects.

Cheers for years
Colin
08-31-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
Thank you Uncle Vanya

Here we go - In order of Importance - Price, IQ, Auto Focus & Reliability,
Most of what I shoot are rivers lakes landscapes and a few in town & local attractions etc too.

What must be said here is that Post Processing is a vital part of where I focus on to emphasize the many colors of & in an image. Then it is off to the races so to speak where the processing leads to playing with emphasize artifax & Chromatic aberations etc while taking the image inot different types of painting effects.
Quite often resembling some of the Infrared variations & effects.

Cheers for years
Colin
If you set price first then iq then af and then reliability,

The Pentax DA 16-45, DA 17-70, Sigma 17-70 all come to the front of the list followed by the Pentax DA 18-135.

Just my opinion. The 16-45 has decentering and barrel wobble potential, is shorter but very wide. The iq is good but some CA is there but you can clean it in post. The DA 17-70 is very nice but sdm reliability is less than desired but also not as bad as some might think. Sigma has a good reputation, lacks Pentax Colors whatever that means, and is reliable. I have no direct experience with the 16-45 or Sigma 17-70. The 18-135 doesn't seem wide enough for what you seem to like.

Personally given the emphasis on landscapes and the color manipulation in post the DA 16-45 or Sigma 17-70 stand out. The 16-45 is likely cheaper.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 08-31-2015 at 02:48 PM.
08-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you so much UncleVanya

Boy that was quick with a very knowledgeable common sense approach.
We can now explore the Pentax DA 16-45, DA 17-70, Sigma 17-70 and see what turns up Price wise.
Although CA is often an advantage to the way I Post Process.

Cheers for years
Colin
08-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check the lens review section for more details on each. Other people may have different opinions also.
08-31-2015, 02:29 PM   #12

Totally agree with UncleVanya ... My K20d is terrible past 200 ISO on a good day.

"K20D is an older camera with more limited options for high ISO shots than the latest generation cameras to me this means fast f stop needs to be more of a priority if you shoot low light or action"
08-31-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
Totally agree with UncleVanya ... My K20d is terrible past 200 ISO on a good day.

"K20D is an older camera with more limited options for high ISO shots than the latest generation cameras to me this means fast f stop needs to be more of a priority if you shoot low light or action"
Given Colin's stated workflow it sounds like low ISO and high f/stop tripod work for a good part of it. Which may not value the extra stops available.
08-31-2015, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #14

Original Poster
Thank you Kenster & UncleVanya

No real hankering for Low Light nearly always midday to use my Infrared Cameras too.
and--->>>
For now - ALWAYS hand held @ F8.0 & 200 ISO as I do not see a 100 ISO.

Cheers for Years
Colin

---------- Post added 08-31-15 at 05:14 PM ----------

Here is an example of a K20D with the Sigma 18-50 Processed "A-La Colin" taken today

Cheers for Years
Colin

Last edited by kamicota; 08-31-2015 at 04:15 PM.
08-31-2015, 06:23 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you like doing landscapes, you might also look into the 10mm-20mm zooms. Both Pentax and Sigma offer the ultra wide zooms. I have been watching the prices and it seems the Sigma runs $400-$500 in the used market depending on which one it is (they make two of 10-20 zooms) but I have seen a few in the market place in the last couple of weeks for around $250.

It's a shame I can not afford to buy one right now.