Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
s.o.s. Humpty Dumpty Kit Lens- put back together?

I have a pentax 18-55mm al wr kit lens with a pentax ph-rbc 52mm lens hood.... the issue started after I purchased two 52mm filters (cpl & gradual nd) that, although were 52mm were too small for the lens (?!). So I thought I'd remove the lens hood to really take a look at the lens. The hood has always been inverted on the lens, in the past I've tried several times to unscrew the hood so I could use it for its intended purpose; when turned clockwise the hood would click into place, and when turned counter clockwise it would move to where the white lens lines lined up (tried to remove at that point but nothing happened and also tried to remove it gently past that point as well) and beyond. I've googled hood removal, use, flipped around, etc... but there was no info. So I tried one more time, I figured it must be easy since there wasn't any info to be found and that I must be the only one on the planet with hood issues. And now currently the lens is in two sections. The front lens element with the hood still attached (the internal side has three plastic prongs sticking up around the glass eye, one looks like it might be a bit bent) and the second section that starts at the focus ring.

So, can I glue/put it back together? Or should just start shopping now for a new lens?

How do I remove the lens hood? Currently I am thinking about getting the hammer out.

In just now going through this I discovered that the lens has a 52mm to 7 adapter (2nd hand gifted lens)...I never considered there was anything attached and it might be glued on.

Maybe I should post pics...

Last edited by L.A.Williams; 08-31-2015 at 12:01 PM.
08-31-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd send it in to Pentax. They might know of a defective unremovable hood bug that some lenses had, and might fix it for free. I'd guess that you can not repair it yourself, not with and likelihood it will function as it used to. If Pentax says "no, you broke it" then go buy another lens. Maybe buy a Tamron or Sigma in protest.
08-31-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see how the filter would affect the hood. Pics would be helpful here I think.

Perhaps you just turned the hood the wrong way? In any case, unless you can snap the parts back together I don't think it's worth bothering. I do like the glue idea, though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well, I am not sure if I am going to post anything ever again, but it seems the whole issue can be blamed on the mysterious black front ring that looked like it was part of the original lens. I got the out pliers and removed the ring (which did take a huge amount of force) after which the lens hood was easily removed. But it still looks like I am still out a lens.

08-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That sucks. Pictures would make it more entertaining to the rest of us though. Lol.

Basic kit lens isn't too expensive. Let me know. I think I have one I can sell cheap if you can't find another. PM me and I will let you know. Mine has no hood but that shouldn't matter... Since yours is finally free.
08-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
My foiled photo follies...

Yes there is some humor and it is rather interesting to see lens innards. And yes UncleVanya I'm in the market for a lens sans hood. I did peak over at b&h, adorama, and E, but I honestly can't believe I did this to a lens. I might still be in shock.
08-31-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same lens, and if anything, the hood is too loose. How on earth did it get so attached in your version - I don't know. Very odd. Time to invest in a new lens, I think!

08-31-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
How on earth did it get so attached in your version

There was a 52 -> 57mm step up ring stuck on the front of the lens he didn't realize was there until it was too late! Lucky it was only a kit lens.
08-31-2015, 07:50 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
There was a 52 -> 57mm step up ring stuck on the front of the lens he didn't realize was there until it was too late! Lucky it was only a kit lens.
I disagree; no lens, even the kit 18-55 deserves that fate.... I have one of those. I think I'll go reassure my kit 18-55 that it might not be the sharpest or brightest in the group, but Gosh Darn It! it's ok by me!

ahem.
08-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shuber Quote
I disagree; no lens, even the kit 18-55 deserves that fate.... I have one of those. I think I'll go reassure my kit 18-55 that it might not be the sharpest or brightest in the group, but Gosh Darn It! it's ok by me!

ahem.
Yup. I wonder if someone could put it back together again. It just seems a sham to toss in the trash...

If you buy mine I may want the remnants of your old one for parts.
08-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Aha, I understand! Still, no great loss - these kit lenses are cheap, secondhand.
08-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #12

If the prong can be bent back to shape without it breaking I'd say just snap it back together and see if it works. Repairs will probably cost you more then finding a used replacement or a new one from a split up kit. KEH or Eric would probably cheaper than Precision and probably do a better job.
08-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Aha, I understand! Still, no great loss - these kit lenses are cheap, secondhand.
Bah, you inconsiderate brute! See post #9. And I hope your children treat you the same way!

Last edited by shuber; 08-31-2015 at 10:55 PM.
09-01-2015, 04:57 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by shuber Quote

ahem.

I should have been more clear when I said "only a kit lens". I was referring to cost, not quality. I've gotten some great photos using the kit lens, in fact, that's all I used on my *ist DL and K-20 when I had them.
09-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

impressive disassembly!