Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #1

Help! My K-50 has stopped working correctly and the screen is acting crazy

Hello All,
While taking some shots in my garden this afternoon my k-50 suddenly stopped working correctly and began exhibiting several symptoms:
First: The Auto Focus no longer works, I can still take pictures for the most part, but if I half press the shutter button, the camera will not focus like it normally does.
Second: The led screen developed an issue where several of the settings values (Shutter Speed, Aperture Value, Sensitivity, AF Point) will constantly blink, and/or flicker between different values, and almost none of the buttons on the back work correctly either. If I try to open a menu, the screen will open up the requested window/page, but the screen immediately switches back to the main view. In fact the only button/mode that seams to work is the image playback button.
Third: If I set the dial to Movie Mode, the shutter opens and closes at a rate of 2-3 times per second without stop (although I only let it do so for a couple seconds).

If I remove the lens the symptoms disappear, but as soon as I reattach it the symptoms start back up, and I only have one lens (18-135) so I cant try a different one.

I'm still fairly new to hobby photography, so I don't know if this is the result of something I did, or a hardware/software malfunction, any help/suggestions appreciated. Also, let me know if I can provide any additional information to clarify.

Thanks.

09-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

clean the contacts? if its freaking out with the lens on
09-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the response.

I cleaned the contacts, first with dry cotton rag, then with very lightly damp cotton rag; No luck with either. Unfortunately I don't have any isopropyl alcohol in the house, otherwise i'd try that as well.
09-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

how bout the switch for mf, afc.....is it seated in position sometimes it can be in between.....throwing stuff out there

09-01-2015, 08:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
Nope, I've tried all three switch positions with no noticeable change in behavior.
09-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reset your camera to defaults. Include custom functions. Page 219 of the manual. Also you should reset the User settings page 174 I think.
09-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
I reset the camera and user settings to default, no apparent change.

09-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ugh. Any chance you are in a town with other Pentax folks? Someone available to let you try a different lens?

Mine did something like this right before it needed service. It seemed to happen when the battery was low. Is your battery fully charged?
09-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
Just tried fresh battery, no luck.
I don't know any Pentax users near by, but there is a camera shop in town, I can take my camera in on my next day off and ask if they'll let me try on a lens.
09-02-2015, 12:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I experienced that behavior once. I had to upgrade/reinstall the firmware in order to solve the problem. After that the behavior has not reappeared. This was on may K-5II.
09-02-2015, 03:19 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I experienced that behavior once. I had to upgrade/reinstall the firmware in order to solve the problem. After that the behavior has not reappeared. This was on may K-5II.
That was most likely the mirror flop issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by pandazerg Quote
I don't know any Pentax users near by, but there is a camera shop in town, I can take my camera in on my next day off and ask if they'll let me try on a lens.
In this case it sounds like the shutter mechanism may have failed. This is a fairly rare occurrence but it does happen with the K-30/K-50 line of cameras. I would take advantage of the warranty and have the camera checked/repaired.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd try pulling the battery, turning on the camera, and holding the shutter button for 30 seconds to drain all capacitors inside, then reinsert battery and see if it's fixed. Next I would reinstall firmware. If that didn't work, then I'd send it back.
09-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K50 eventually had to be sent back and the "aperture control block" was replaced. The symptoms all disappeared.
09-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
I tried removing the battery and draining the capacitors as well as a firmware upgrade, no change. I guess I have to send it in for service. Thank you to everyone who helped.
03-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #15

The exact same thing happened to me earlier today with my k-50, which is less than a month old...Luckily I found this thread though, but what was the verdict on your situation? Did you end up having to send it for repair?