Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #1

Problems with continuos long exposure shoots

Hi Everyone,

I own a pentax k50m and I just bought a Neewer digital timer remote (Amazon.com: Neewer Digital Timer Remote EZA-C1 For Canon Powershot G10 /G11/EOS 1000D(Rebel Xs)/500D(Rebel X1i)/450D(Rebel Xsi)/400D(Rebel Xti)/350D(Rebel Xt)/300D/300/300V/50E/50/33/30: Camera & Photo) . I was trying to take some long exposure photos (startrails), but the seems I am not doing something right Here I expose what I am doing and the results:

Example 1

delay: 2 sec
long (exposure time): 00:01:00 (1min)
interval: 00:01:02
Num of shoots: 4

It starts at 2 sec (as set), and it starts taking the 1st shoot for 1 min (as set), BUT, here stars the problems: right after the 1 min exposure ends, the camera stars to "process the photo" (orange light blinking) for 1 min, so the next shoot starts 1 min later!!!! the result: 2 shoots (instead of 4) of 62 seconds each and with a "hole" of 1 min between the photos.

Example 2:
long (exposure time): 00:01:00 (1min)
interval: 00:00:02
Num of shoots: 4

No changes, the same results.

Example 3:

long (exposure time): 00:03:00 2min)
interval: 00:03:01
Num of shoots: 8

Result: 4 shoots (of 181 seconds each) instead of 8. The time while the camera was "working/processing" (blinking the orange light) between each shoot was 2h40 seconds

THANKS !!!!!!

09-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dark frame subtraction is set to AUTO by default. I can't recall what they call it. It takes a shutter closed picture after the first and uses it to reduce sensor created noise. It is called Slow Shutter Speed NR (see p.100 in the manual). It is active when the shutter speed is greater than 1 second (or maybe equal to?). Turn that to off and it should not take so long between frames.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-04-2015 at 10:32 AM.
09-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Dark frame subtraction is set to AUTO by default. I can't recall what they call it. It takes a shutter closed picture after the first and uses it to reduce sensor created noise. It is called Slow Shutter Speed NR (see p.100 in the manual). It is active when the shutter speed is greater than 1 second (or maybe equal to?). Turn that to off and it should not take so long between frames.
Thanks!

I had already turned off the slow shutter speed NR and the High ISO NR.
Yes, now it takes less time to "process" the photo, but,
it still takes the same amount of time to Start the next photo. Let me explain with an example

Deley: 2 sec
Long: 30 sec
Interval: 3 sec
numer of shots: 4

Result: 2 shots of 30 seconds (the camera takes the 1st and the 2nd shoot, the ones in between is not taking!!!)
09-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From the K-50 manual in the interval shooting section:

• If the mode dial or the main switch is turned while shooting, the pictures that
have been already taken are saved and Interval Shooting is ended.
• [Single Frame Shooting] is used regardless of the current drive mode setting.
• If the subject is not in focus with the focus mode set to l or the previous
image processing cannot be completed before taking the next picture, no
picture may be taken.
• Although each shot taken is displayed with Instant Review, they cannot be
magnified, deleted, or saved in RAW format.
• The monitor turns off during the intervals between shots.
• If the Auto Power Off function turns the camera off before starting Interval
Shooting, the camera
The camera will not take a photo while it is processing. I don't think that would make any difference using a third party intervalometer vs the built in one, because the processing engine is in the camera.

09-04-2015, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daniel ochoa Quote
Thanks!

I had already turned off the slow shutter speed NR and the High ISO NR.
Yes, now it takes less time to "process" the photo, but,
it still takes the same amount of time to Start the next photo. Let me explain with an example

Deley: 2 sec
Long: 30 sec
Interval: 3 sec
numer of shots: 4

Result: 2 shots of 30 seconds (the camera takes the 1st and the 2nd shoot, the ones in between is not taking!!!)
The interval has to include the duration of the exposure, since the camera starts the times when the shutter opens, not when it closes. So in this case you'd want to make the interval 33s (30s exposure + 3s delay in between). Then you should get 4 shots

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The interval has to include the duration of the exposure, since the camera starts the times when the shutter opens, not when it closes. So in this case you'd want to make the interval 33s (30s exposure + 3s delay in between). Then you should get 4 shots
Adam: Acctually I did try with intervals like you show, however the result didn't change. I friend of mine who is pentax user give me the solution:

1. the bulb mode option has to be in mode 1 (for some reason it was set in mode 2).

Now that works fine, I can tell, that does´t matter how I set the interval, works well. Thanks!
09-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
From the K-50 manual in the interval shooting section:

• If the mode dial or the main switch is turned while shooting, the pictures that
have been already taken are saved and Interval Shooting is ended.
• [Single Frame Shooting] is used regardless of the current drive mode setting.
• If the subject is not in focus with the focus mode set to l or the previous
image processing cannot be completed before taking the next picture, no
picture may be taken.
• Although each shot taken is displayed with Instant Review, they cannot be
magnified, deleted, or saved in RAW format.
• The monitor turns off during the intervals between shots.
• If the Auto Power Off function turns the camera off before starting Interval
Shooting, the camera
The camera will not take a photo while it is processing. I don't think that would make any difference using a third party intervalometer vs the built in one, because the processing engine is in the camera.
thank you ramseybuckeye, the problems seems to be: bulb mode. I set up for mode 2, when it should be in mode 1.