Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5II Broken - Back LCD

Used my camera (K-5 II) yesterday and everything was fine. Looked at the LCD today and see that the LCD under the back glass is broken. It broke in a unique way, doesn't appear it was hit or anything. The LCD has two paralell lines that are dead with some pixels that are turning on and off while the screen is on. When you look at the screen with it off, you can still see the lines. It is definately broken .

I have had this camera since 2013 no issues till now. This camera has NEVER been dropped or hit, and this was definately not hit while I was sleeping.
  • Would this be repaired under warrnty?
  • If no, how much would it cost to have my camera fixed?
  • And if it were to be fixed, how long would it take to get back? (I have a photo shoot on October 17th)

I live in the USA and have never worked with Pentax Repair centers before.

09-07-2015, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Would this be repaired under warrnty?
Warranty in the USA is 1 year unless you bought the Pentax extended warranty in which case it is a total of three years.
If no, how much would it cost to have my camera fixed?
Only a repair center can answer that. Precision Camera is the authorized warranty center: Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair I have heard that KEH is also doing repairs but you would have to check with them.
And if it were to be fixed, how long would it take to get back? (I have a photo shoot on October 17th)
Again, unknown. This seems to vary a lot. I sent my k-5 in for service and it took over three months. Others have reported a range of long and short times. I certainly would not count on it getting back by October 17th if you need it for a gig.
09-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

If you're staying in dry conditions, I'd hold off until after the shoot if the rest of the camera is functional. As jatrax stated, reports from others who have sent their cameras to Precision, it could take quite awhile to get your camera back. Why risk it?

If your shoot is only for a few days, you may want to consider renting one if you need the Weather Resistance or the camera is otherwise compromised (nonfunctional)..