Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

Is there any long lasting battery for the Pentax K-S2?

I'm going to buy a camera and I saw the Pentax K-50 and it's great, then saw the Pentax K-S2 and everything was perfect till I saw the battery life of 440 shots. The K-50 lasts the same but has the optional AA battery compartment. So I was wondering if there exists any long life Pentax battery and if is good to use third party batteries.

09-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by denisguerra7 Quote
I'm going to buy a camera and I saw the Pentax K-50 and it's great, then saw the Pentax K-S2 and everything was perfect till I saw the battery life of 440 shots. The K-50 lasts the same but has the optional AA battery compartment. So I was wondering if there exists any long life Pentax battery and if is good to use third party batteries.
The K-S2 doesn't support an AA adapter or battery grip, nor are there any high-capacity batteries available. Some third-party batteries may quote a higher capacity but at the end of the day you're lucky if you get the same performance as with the OEM battery.

If you want longer battery life, I would either go with the K-3, or get a couple of spare batteries for your K-S2

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the K-50 does support AA batteries in an adapter, but it only holds one or the other at a time... I find that if I keep the LCD usage to a minimum, I get 500+ shots out of a fully-charged battery..

I also use Watson batteries along with the OEM battery and cannot yell the difference in performance...
09-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Eneloop Rechargable AA batteries in the K-50 (with the AA battery adapter) would work fine, but as Adam said a K-3 with the optional battery grip is an even better choice if you are looking for max battery life. Out of the Pentax camera bodies currently in stores, only the K-3 and K-3II support the optional battery grip.

The grip does make your camera larger and heavier so take that into consideration. But you will have two power sources (the proprietary battery brick in the camera AND the batteries in the grip). I usually take the grip filled with eneloop AAs with my K-5 mkII when I'm in a situation where I'm taking A LOT of photos (burst mode) or where I'm using Live View often.

If the K-3 is out of reach financially, I think your next option if you are looking for brand new is a K-50 with eneloop AA's or just a couple proprietary bricks. I don't think there is a brick style battery that provides extra juice over the one that comes with the camera.

09-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With the k-50 you'll get the mists out of a set of lithium AAs, but the only type batteries are very pocket friendly, and it takes about ten seconds to change the battery.
09-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot a K30 that is said to only have the same amount of shots with the exact same battery. I shoot mostly weddings. I get more shots than that shooting RAW+ (with 16 megapixel jpegs). I do set the auto off at 1 minute. I have not really had a issue with shooting that way. Granted I shoot with 2 cameras on me at the same time. So this may be some of the reason it is not been that big of a deal to me.

Last edited by macman24054; 09-07-2015 at 08:38 PM.
09-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are relatively cheap aftermarket batteries for the K-S2. I have several, and keep them charged. I haven't ever needed more than one spare battery in a day of shooting. 4-500 shots is really quite a lot, unless you are shooting weddings. In that case, just get the K-3.

09-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #8

Original Poster
I'm looking for a camera for nature photography and astrophotography. I saw a wide variety of pictures from the K-50, K-5s, K3, D3300, D5300, D5200, D7200 and a6000. Also I compared them in DxO having the Sony a7 II and the K-50 approached. Certainly there's no big difference in the cameras of today.

I was decided to buy the D7200 or the D3300; I'm not going to spend $1000 in a camera while I can buy one with two lenses at $550, so I liked the K-50. Then I saw the K-S2 and the built in Wi-Fi caught my interest. It's cheap but the same endurance of the K-50. It wouldn't be a problem if the K-S2 be capable to hold AA batteries.

I saw at Amazon a vertical battery for entry level cameras, it is a connector that inserts into the battery slot and into the grip there's a compartments for 6 AA batteries, so, I was wondering if is recommendable to use these stuffs.
09-08-2015, 04:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by denisguerra7 Quote

I saw at Amazon a vertical battery for entry level cameras, it is a connector that inserts into the battery slot and into the grip there's a compartments for 6 AA batteries, so, I was wondering if is recommendable to use these stuffs.
Can you post a link?
09-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Forum Member

I find third party batteries great. Buy the camera you want and a couple of spares and you're set really.
09-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #11

Original Poster
The grip for Pentax entry level seems to be unavailable, I saw it a couple months ago. I found this one for the Nikon D3300 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J28T9MG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1441729987&sr=8-...or+Nikon+d3300

I was wondering if the D-Li90 fits into the K-S2.
09-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #12

Original Poster
The grip for Pentax entry level seems to be unavailable, I saw it a couple months ago. I found this one for the Nikon D3300 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J28T9MG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1441729987&sr=8-...or+Nikon+d3300

I was wondering if the D-Li90 fits into the K-S2.
09-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only battery option is the LI109. The 3rd party ones are cheap and plentiful and I suggest you carry a few extras if you are likely to take a ton of shots or use the screen a bunch in LiveView.
09-08-2015, 03:10 PM   #14

Original Poster
I know the battery life can be extended turning off the screen and using the viewfinder fulltime. I haven't any problem with carrying a few extra batteries. Thanks you for your tips.

Also I was worried about the non weather sealed bodies for nature shots, I don't know if they can handle with the high humidity, like after rain and night shots. My main option was the D3300 because it's great and is sold in my country, Panamá. Here e haven't Pentax cameras, so, I'd like to buy it here.