Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Just to support what others have said... that kit lens is quite poor. It will do the job in a pinch, but you will never get AMAZING quality out of it.
Actually, kit lenses that were sold with film cameras in the past are giving better IQ than that lens.
Yes, the fast prime kit lenses that were sold with film cameras in the past have better IQ. In fact, many of those (most) are quite excellent and a few are historic standouts. I own several (20+). The typical kit zooms from the mid-80s on, OTOH, are of average quality and many are not to the same level optically as the current 18-55 kit (any version).

I suppose I should not be such a 18-55 apologist, but the snapshot submitted by the OP would not have looked much different even if it had been done with the DA* 16-50/2.8. I am not even sure it would look much different with both excellent technique and skilled PP. The subject is less than compelling and offers little to show off either gear or technique.

As for AMAZING results (I guess that equates to quality) from the kit lens, I shot fairly happily with mine for a number of years and did what I consider to be credible work using that tool. For those that are interested, here is a sampling from my Flickr stream taken with the kit (v1) on the 10Mpx K10D.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=28796087%40N02&sort=date-taken-desc&t...-55&view_all=1

BTW...I cannot vouch for the condition of the OP's lens.

Steve

09-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, the fast prime kit lenses that were sold with film cameras in the past have better IQ. In fact, many of those (most) are quite excellent and a few are historic standouts. I own several (20+). The typical kit zooms from the mid-80s on, OTOH, are of average quality and many are not to the same level optically as the current 18-55 kit (any version).

I suppose I should not be such a 18-55 apologist, but the snapshot submitted by the OP would not have looked much different even if it had been done with the DA* 16-50/2.8. I am not even sure it would look much different with both excellent technique and skilled PP. The subject is less than compelling and offers little to show off either gear or technique.

As for AMAZING results (I guess that equates to quality) from the kit lens, I shot fairly happily with mine for a number of years and did what I consider to be credible work using that tool. For those that are interested, here is a sampling from my Flickr stream taken with the kit (v1) on the 10Mpx K10D.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=28796087%40N02&sort=date-taken-desc&t...-55&view_all=1

BTW...I cannot vouch for the condition of the OP's lens.

Steve
Obviously I wasn't referring to all of the past kit lens .
And there were some zooms that were still quite good and still stand up to the newer generation (still have a few around the house mounted on those 80s cameras and they perform quite well on the digital cameras).

I had both generation 1 and 2 and used them and have a fairly good idea on how they perform. They are nice little and light lens that in very good lighting condition will give you very nice results as well. As with anything, you need to learn their sweet spot and what kind of light they like the best (and how to compensate when you don't have the ideal conditions).
As a starter lens and as a light kit travel lens, they are decent... nice photos btw .
09-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think amazing results CAN be achieved with a kit lens. They may not always be amazing to a pixel peeper, but just as an image there's no reason you shouldn't be able to take a great photo with a kit lens. Sure other lenses are nicer and handle tough situations like flare or distortion better but in the hands of a skilled photographer the kit lenses should be more than adequate most of the time.
09-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #34
Site Supporter

I think the kit 18-55 lens is plenty capable for the average user. Keep it stopped down a tiny bit and have fun. Learn how to use the camera, the intricacies of the focus system, and compose better. Of course, I demand more now, but I've taken plenty of good shots with it.

09-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I think amazing results CAN be achieved with a kit lens. They may not always be amazing to a pixel peeper, but just as an image there's no reason you shouldn't be able to take a great photo with a kit lens. Sure other lenses are nicer and handle tough situations like flare or distortion better but in the hands of a skilled photographer the kit lenses should be more than adequate most of the time.
You can definitely get some really good photos with that kit lens, no arguments there (as long the photographer knows what he is doing AND the lens is not a bad copy).
Amazing photos however... ummmm... not really... "artistic" amazing... yeah, maybe... amazing, amazing.... no... not really... it tends to be generally too soft (and I'm not a pixel peeper) and good sharpness can be achieved only in good to very good lighting conditions (or after some PP magic).
09-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikecomua Quote
Thanks a lot for the advice, guys. Here are some pictures I took this morning on AV mode with f8 and Shake Reduction turned off. Still seems pretty skewered up, though

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6u-apc8zXe6WTZDenFaUnZYZ1E/view?usp=sharing[COLOR="Silver"]
I don't understand what's wrong with that image. You're still not managing to test the lens, because to do that you need to be parallel to a subject and make sure the subject extends to every corner of the frame. But what defects are you seeing in this image?
09-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't understand what's wrong with that image. You're still not managing to test the lens, because to do that you need to be parallel to a subject and make sure the subject extends to every corner of the frame. But what defects are you seeing in this image?
I don't see any obvious defects either. Looks fine,
A little softer at the upper right corner but that is farther away so it may just be falling out of focus.

Agreed about the flat surface too.
09-10-2015, 02:05 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by mikecomua Quote
Dear Pentaxforums,

I recently purchased a used Pentax K-m camera fairly cheaply. The picture qquality is horrible: there's a lot of noise, the images are extremely blurry, the camera captures very few details and overall the photos look like crap. What could you say that cause of that could be?
Try using different lens and manual focusing to check all possibilities. Remember most cameras will suffer from diminishing pixel count after years of use. You never know your camera may have a simple fault that is repairable. That is unless the lens has been detached for ages exposing your camera to sand or dust or microbes. Do not use any type of air-blower inside the camera or on the lens! Pentax cameras made to last....including yours hopefully! If not buy K-5 which is a now bargain; new or used.

09-10-2015, 03:28 AM   #39
Site Supporter

The km is an old camera and that sensor will tend to get noisy at relatively low iso. I owned the K10 which had the same sensor and I wouldn't shoot it over iso 800. At low iso it should do well. The kit lens will be OK for most purposes as long as you stay away from the extremes -- 18mm and 55mm both won't be great. If you could afford a kx, I think you would find it a big step up with regard to performance and look at a 50mm f1.8 lens as well. I don't know your budget, but I think you would find that combo would significantly out perform your km and kit lens, although to be honest, the km is very capable of great photos.