Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Liveview with landscapes

Having bought up this topic in another forum topic I thought it fit to go back and discuss this deeper. Since I purchased my k5 5 years ago I have been using the Liveview function exclusively with my tripod (of course) when shooting landscapes. In other situations (handheld) I obviously don't even though i find the cameras AF a bit unresponsive, inaccurate at times and slow. Do people find that when shooting landscapes you get a better result using Liveview or normal AF function (ie selective point), or vice versa? I personally have found Liveview far more reliable

09-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Contrast Detect Auto Focus (CDAF) is typically slower but more accurate. Typically the problems with Phase Detect Auto Focus (PDAF) can be at least reduced by using the AF fine tuning options to correct front/back focus issues. LiveView doesn't tend to have front/back focus so I can see that it might help with critical focus but since many landscapes are shot at f/8 or higher where depth of field starts to make critical focus easier I would not have anticipated needing to use LiveView with landscapes. I am not saying I never do it. I'm saying it is not my first choice.
09-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Contrast Detect Auto Focus (CDAF) is typically slower but more accurate. Typically the problems with Phase Detect Auto Focus (PDAF) can be at least reduced by using the AF fine tuning options to correct front/back focus issues. LiveView doesn't tend to have front/back focus so I can see that it might help with critical focus but since many landscapes are shot at f/8 or higher where depth of field starts to make critical focus easier I would not have anticipated needing to use LiveView with landscapes. I am not saying I never do it. I'm saying it is not my first choice.
its not your first choice because??? I know personally for me looking down the viewfinder is so much more personal and real rather than Liveview but is this your reason why?
09-09-2015, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
its not your first choice because??? I know personally for me looking down the viewfinder is so much more personal and real rather than Liveview but is this your reason why?
No - the battery draw, the speed of obtaining focus, the awkwardness of holding the camera away from my face if I'm not using a tripod... those are mostly why.

09-09-2015, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
Having bought up this topic in another forum topic I thought it fit to go back and discuss this deeper. Since I purchased my k5 5 years ago I have been using the Liveview function exclusively with my tripod (of course) when shooting landscapes. In other situations (handheld) I obviously don't even though i find the cameras AF a bit unresponsive, inaccurate at times and slow. Do people find that when shooting landscapes you get a better result using Liveview or normal AF function (ie selective point), or vice versa? I personally have found Liveview far more reliable
I generally use live view for landscapes since it's more accurate. Live view focusing combined with magnification to verify the focus can be very powerful tools.

For general-purpose use the CDAF has also been greatly improved in the latest models (K-S2, K-S1, K-3, K-3 II) so that also adds a good deal of convenience.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2015, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since getting a K-30 I almost exclusively use live view when using a tripod. It started when I was using it on manual lenses at night because of focus peaking. With a tripod I just think it's better to compose with live view and I nearly always use manual focus because of focus peaking, you can see the depth of field so easily and can adjust your focus to get the most desirable DOF. My problem is that often I'm too lazy to use the tripod so then I use the viewfinder and rush things.
09-09-2015, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I nearly always use live view for landscapes. It's the best way to get accurate focus and the metering is usually more precise as well. I'm working on a tripod so it's really convenient for manual focus lenses as well.

09-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 for tripodded Live View with landscapes.
09-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

When the camera is on tripod, I find it easier to use LV, and you can see the whole picture better than through OVF. and since it's on tripod, I'm not in rush and longer time to nail the focus is no issue.
So, Tripod comes with LiveView, except when I'm running out of batteries.
09-09-2015, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I generally use live view for landscapes since it's more accurate. Live view focusing combined with magnification to verify the focus can be very powerful tools.

For general-purpose use the CDAF has also been greatly improved in the latest models (K-S2, K-S1, K-3, K-3 II) so that also adds a good deal of convenience.
I've been thinking about this lately.. would it really matter with a landscape image? I mean generally, when I think of landscape imagery, I'm thinking of f/8 to f/11 .. so wide field of focus.. from hyperfocal point to infinity..

seems like CDAF would be more suited to portraiture with a fast lens on the surface.. (at least to me!)
09-10-2015, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to use live view on a tripod (when I am not using hyperfocal focusing). Biggest thing is the spread on the CD AF points goes much closer to the edge of the field of view, while the PD auto focus points are pretty far away. Manual focusing is a breeze too, just zoom your view to where you want to focus and it is pretty easy. Live auto focus is definitely significantly faster on K3 than on the K5 models.
09-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I tend to use live view on a tripod (when I am not using hyperfocal focusing). Biggest thing is the spread on the CD AF points goes much closer to the edge of the field of view, while the PD auto focus points are pretty far away. Manual focusing is a breeze too, just zoom your view to where you want to focus and it is pretty easy. Live auto focus is definitely significantly faster on K3 than on the K5 models.
Have you found focus-peaking to be of any value to you when taking landscape imagery? When I had the K-30, I never even thought to try it (sticking to macro work).
09-11-2015, 03:19 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Have you found focus-peaking to be of any value to you when taking landscape imagery? When I had the K-30, I never even thought to try it (sticking to macro work).
It can help a little bit. I haven't really needed it a lot. If you zoom in with live view, you can focus pretty accurately without (although I have it turned on on both my K-01 and K3).
09-11-2015, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #14

my problem with dslr liveview is that the aperture is stopped down during liveview. so that when aperture is set fully open for example, it doesnt give critical focus, even with magnification and focus peaking. I think mirrorless cameras focus with their aperture wide open in liveview, making it more useful with fast lenses.
09-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #15

Original Poster
Really that's interesting. I had not noticed this, what Pentax are you using ?