Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #1

Long Exposure

Hi , How do I do a Long Exposure Time Lapse with my Pentax K 3

09-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Look into the Interval Shooting menu.
Probably set your camera in manual mode (unless one of the automatic modes works well for what you're doing).
Then set up Interval mode to take a photo at least as far apart as the longest shutter speed you'll need to get your image.
If in manual mode, this is easy. If in an auto mode, things may change... but if your interval is a number of minutes this really isn't an issue.
Then set number of shots. Start 'em-up and you're done.

Well, not quite done. Then you need to import into some sort of movie maker program.

If you're talking about the 4K Time Lapse Movie Mode, here is a good walkthrough,
I do not believe there is any way to set up long-exposure, though. Only suggestion I can think of it to get some ND filters to make a proper exposure take a longer time.
09-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

the on board intervalometer is inclusive of exposure time......30 sec exposure requires 31 second or more interval time
what kinda lapse are you trying to do?
09-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
hi Aaron28 ,trying to do Long Exposure A Night time Lapse

---------- Post added 09-12-15 at 12:37 PM ----------

Trying to do an interval movie mode at night with a shutter speed of more than one second on P or AV mode

09-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

ok neat....I do that quite often but of the night sky....one example would be K-r with 14/2.8, wide open or 1 stop down, iso 400+/-, wb 4-4.5K (i'm a jpeg shooter) and 30 sec exposure...set interval at 32-33 seconds for 120 shots....about an hour.....take 2 dark frames(lens cap on) at beginning and 4 at the end of interval session....this is for noise reduction post processing as it is turned off during the interval shooting or it would take 60 seconds for the exposure to take place...make time lapse and stack from that session...might be slightly different if doin a 'city' like scene....good luck hope it goes well
09-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by smelliott Quote
Trying to do an interval movie mode at night with a shutter speed of more than one second on P or AV mode
Again, it maters whether you are trying to use "4K Time Lapse Movie Mode" or simple Interval Shooting.

4K Movie mode is pretty limited, as far as I know and may not work well for long exposures beyond automatic metering.
Interval Shooting mode gives a lot of freedom but does not in itself create a movie. You will need to put the individual images together and use additional software to create a movie.