Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

DA* 50-135mm focus hunts

It appears my 50-135mm focus hunts at 135mm. It is quite interesting as I can zoom out a little (roughly to 125mm) and I will get a lock near instantly.. even if I purposely defocus and let the camera find its focus altogether.. but as soon as I move it to 135mm, it just goes back and forth slightly. The other interesting thing is it doesn't seem to rack the focus, going from one side to the polar opposite completely. No, my lens @ 135mm just slightly focuses towards me, through correct focus, then out slightly, again through correct focus.. very quickly.. and never finding where it needs to be. infinite hunting.

And, if I manually correct it with the quick shift.. the lens does nothing (as it should), the camera beeps, and I have lock. haha thanks AF for letting me do your job.

Also, after going through a period of hunting.. if I move the focal length again to say 125mm and keep trying to let the camera find focus, it does... near instantly.

What is going on?? I've tried it at f/2.8, f/4, and f/8 ISO 400 and ISO 100.. bright light.. dim light.. it doesn't matter. It is like it KNOWS where correct focus is (since it doesn't move through the whole focus range, sticking to just on each side of proper focus).. but it refuses to give it to me.

09-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It appears my 50-135mm focus hunts at 135mm. It is quite interesting as I can zoom out a little (roughly to 125mm) and I will get a lock near instantly.. even if I purposely defocus and let the camera find its focus altogether.. but as soon as I move it to 135mm, it just goes back and forth slightly. The other interesting thing is it doesn't seem to rack the focus, going from one side to the polar opposite completely. No, my lens @ 135mm just slightly focuses towards me, through correct focus, then out slightly, again through correct focus.. very quickly.. and never finding where it needs to be. infinite hunting.

And, if I manually correct it with the quick shift.. the lens does nothing (as it should), the camera beeps, and I have lock. haha thanks AF for letting me do your job.

Also, after going through a period of hunting.. if I move the focal length again to say 125mm and keep trying to let the camera find focus, it does... near instantly.

What is going on?? I've tried it at f/2.8, f/4, and f/8 ISO 400 and ISO 100.. bright light.. dim light.. it doesn't matter. It is like it KNOWS where correct focus is (since it doesn't move through the whole focus range, sticking to just on each side of proper focus).. but it refuses to give it to me.
What camera? Also, it might need a very slight AF adjustment at the long end.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
mee
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-5 II

No, I don't think it is a micro focus issue... I've tried it at -10 to +10 and various values in between. the behavior is the same at 135mm.

It gets to correct focus, over shoots SLIGHTLY then corrects by going through correct focus just to the other edge of it and then proceeds to hunt back and forth between near edges. So it seems to know where to go, it just never seals the deal by committing to correct focus.

Last edited by mee; 09-12-2015 at 07:44 PM.
09-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

K-5 II

No, I don't think it is a micro focus issue... I've tried it at -10 to +10 and various values in between. the behavior is the same at 135mm.

It gets to correct focus, over shoots SLIGHTLY then corrects by going through correct focus just to the other edge of it and then proceeds to hunt back and forth between near edges. So it seems to know where to go, it just never seals the deal by committing to correct focus.
I've had something like this happen with very wide lenses, but not telephotos. Strange!

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
mee
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've had something like this happen with very wide lenses, but not telephotos. Strange!
Strange indeed! What was the resolution for the very wide lenses exhibiting a similar behavior?
09-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My 50-135 (Screw-Drive) does exactly the same thing. I tried on three bodies (K5, K-01 and a K-r) - the thing zips back and forth at 135, but locks almost instantaneously around 100-120mm. Is yours running screw-drive or SDM? My SWAG on it is related to SDM hack, but why on the long end only?
09-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
mee
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
My 50-135 (Screw-Drive) does exactly the same thing. I tried on three bodies (K5, K-01 and a K-r) - the thing zips back and forth at 135, but locks almost instantaneously around 100-120mm. Is yours running screw-drive or SDM? My SWAG on it is related to SDM hack, but why on the long end only?
Interesting! Thanks for sharing..

I'm using SDM.. I was actually contemplating, this evening, switching it to screwdrive to see if it was ill behaved after.. looks like I won't need to bother now.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........
09-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Strange indeed! What was the resolution for the very wide lenses exhibiting a similar behavior?
It was a while ago, but it must have been with the K-7 or K-5 as a small AF adjustment seemed to solve the issue.

Adam

09-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #9
mee
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It was a while ago, but it must have been with the K-7 or K-5 as a small AF adjustment seemed to solve the issue.
Oh that is a different issue then..