Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Vignetting on left side -- shutter problem?

My K-5 is vignetting on the left side of the image (25%-33%) -- worse with high shutter speeds. Lens doesn't matter. Nothing is obscured in the image, just darker on the left. And again, very noticeable with high shutter speeds.

I'm thinking this might be a dying shutter? Is there something else it could be?

09-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you photograph the shutter with another camera?
09-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Could you photograph the shutter with another camera?
Like while firing to see if it is slightly slow at 1/8000 second? Don't think so. That's the only cause I can think of though...
09-15-2015, 12:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

the Shutter in the Pentax K5 is a vertical travel shutter, not a horizontal travel shutter. Which would mean that if it was failing, or slowing down in some manner the lower half of the image would be brighter, not darker. If it is darker it indicates that the shutter is speeding up, but this issue is only affecting the left half of the image which suggests something else is getting in the way during exposure. Have you cleaned your cameras sensor?

09-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the Shutter in the Pentax K5 is a vertical travel shutter, not a horizontal travel shutter. Which would mean that if it was failing, or slowing down in some manner the lower half of the image would be brighter, not darker. If it is darker it indicates that the shutter is speeding up, but this issue is only affecting the left half of the image which suggests something else is getting in the way during exposure. Have you cleaned your cameras sensor?
Is it possible the opening is not uniform? Maybe slightly more closed on the left half? That's what I was thinking about when I asked about trying to take shots of it. I was thinking that at the lowest shutter speed that he was seeing this he could try a few burst mode attempts and see if he could nail it while firing - kind of a long shot I admit. On a film camera you could open the back and hold it up to the light and see the shape possibly but even then at high speeds it would be nearly impossible.
09-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It's a gradation, and the same at f/2.8 and f/22 so I don't think it is something on the sensor. Plus, it is not affected by aperture (like sensor dust), but is affected by shutter speed. At the highest speed 1/8000s, if I shoot the empty sky and then boost the contrast of the image, I get a gradation that is brightest in the lower right corner and darkest on the left top, but on others it looks more just like a vertical band (but soft) on the left.

I just noticed this yesterday, and then it was getting dark. I'll do some more tests today to make sure I'm not crazy, but it seemed easily reproducible with different lenses, shooting different directions/orientations (so it wasn't just the light)...
09-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Forum Member

That's most certainly a broken shutter curtain.Either the leading or the trailing curtain "hangs" which leads to an uneven opening.Can you visually inspect the shutter curtains and see if there's oil or anything on them or if they have scratches?
09-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
if I shoot the empty sky and then boost the contrast of the image,
The illumination of the sky is not necessarily uniform. It changes with the angle of the sun relative to the horizon as well as the angle relative to the area (of the Sky) you are shooting.
Try shooting a white, or light colored wall that is in the shade or on a heavily overcast day.

09-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The illumination of the sky is not necessarily uniform. It changes with the angle of the sun relative to the horizon as well as the angle relative to the area (of the Sky) you are shooting.
Try shooting a white, or light colored wall that is in the shade or on a heavily overcast day.
That's what I meant about different orientations (shooting the same bit of sky), turning the camera vertical, upside down, it always on the left of the image. (And again, why would shutter speed matter if it was just the light?) Then tried the K-01 with same lens, same view, no such problems. I will nail it down more today.

Here's a boosted view of what I was getting at high shutter. The brightest at the bottom right could possibly just be uneven sky, but the darkness on the left was pretty consistent no matter what...
Attached Images

09-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
That's what I meant about different orientations (shooting the same bit of sky), turning the camera vertical, upside down, it always on the left of the image.
Oops. I missed that part.
09-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter

There is a chance that the left side of the leading curtain is dragging. Is there any indication of physical damage on visual inspection? (Use mirror-up feature.)

Instead of the sky, I would suggest an evenly illuminated blank wall as a test target.

Steve
09-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #12

In a vertical running shutter the gap between the two blinds should be a parallel slit. if one or both blinds don't stay horizontal as they move, the gap may be wider at one side. A wider gap lets more light through on that side. Try taking exposures at varying shutter speeds .At high shutter speeds the gap is narrow and any deviation from parallel blinds will be accentuated. At 1/180 sec or slower, the first blind has to completely uncover the sensor before the second blind closes, so slight variations will be less likely to show up.
09-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Been swamped with work and I haven't had a chance to pick up a camera and test this some more, but looking at my lightroom catalog I see this has been happening a few months at high shutter -- not very noticeable until you get up to 1/4000, 1/6400, 1/8000, which I don't very often. (And tends to be the same lens when I do, so I suspected the lens.) Still not completely positive of it all, will test as soon as I can...