Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 06:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is wrong with my camera?

Recently I have noticed that vertical lines are appearing on the back screen of my camera. They don't appear on the final image though.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

09-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #2

The back LCD is defective. You can either ignore those lines (since they won't show up in the final photo) or send your camera in to have the LCD replaced.
09-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sideway Quote
The back LCD is defective. You can either ignore those lines (since they won't show up in the final photo) or send your camera in to have the LCD replaced.
Thanks, I will live with them for now, unless they get much worse. I imported the camera from the USA to South Africa, so I guess I would need to send it back to the USA to get it replaced.

Any idea what could cause that?
09-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Looks to me like a series of dead pixels on your lcd screen.

09-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has the camera taken a beating? It looks like it might have. That could have damaged the screen or its wiring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like (to me) the camera is worn quite a bit? since the letters on some of the buttons are fading out...
09-15-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Has the camera taken a beating? It looks like it might have. That could have damaged the screen or its wiring.
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Looks like (to me) the camera is worn quite a bit? since the letters on some of the buttons are fading out...
And the abrasion/erosion on the left side adjacent to the LCD screen.

It definitely is a fault with the rear LCD screen.

Steve

09-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Usually it is heat, moisture or most commonly a really bad knock as external factors causing it, in other cases just bad luck. It looks like it took a nice big hit on the left side of the LCD.
09-15-2015, 11:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The "abrasion/corrosion" on the left of the left side of the LCD is not what it appears to be - it's a bad photo taken with my cellphone and it actually is a reflection off some perspiration/oil from my skin! There's no marks or scratches there at all. Here's another (better) photo of the side.

I do not recall having bumped the camera recently, other than one case over a week ago when another photographer in front of me stepped backwards into my camera while we were at a sporting event - her head hit my camera quite hard.

The only other possible cause is that I was shooting in a light drizzle last weekend when I first noticed the lines appearing and it was also quite cold weather.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nexus 5  Photo 
09-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Forum Member

Doubt the fellow photographer stepping backwards caused the LCD to gain those seemingly dead pixels. Not unless she hit her head against the LCD while being in front of you somehow? Also doubt it was the light drizzle or cold weather as that usually would lead to more global or catastrophic issues. But I guess anything is possible. More likely to be caused by a hard hit or pressure exerted on that top part of the LCD. Need not even be some big event that you noticed. Could have been leaning on it, put the camera bag down a little too fast or roughly, took an unmarked fall while not in your possession or view, etc. I guess it also be defective for all anyone knows.

I had a camera that was inside a camera bag took a harmless looking fall from the trunk of my car. Padded interior and didn't take the direct hit on the camera side. SR stopped working after that. Go figure.

Hope your camera is still covered by warranty or you can get LCD to be fixed easily / inexpensively. The LCD itself seems cheap to replace but a) hope it's easy repair to perform, and b) hope it does indeed fix the problem. Best of luck!
09-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These are usually caused by a faulty connection between the camera electronics and the controller.

Here's relevant reading: What Causes Horizontal Lines on an LCD Panel? | Everyday Life - Global Post