Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Lens purchase? Best one

a quick question for any skilled individual...
I have just purchased a SK-1 and would like to get the best lens for this camera for capturing crisp shots of models for a shoot for my business. Any advice?

09-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-S1 you mean?

The following lenses are great for portraits:
SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database (manual focus but great value)

If you want a high-quality zoom lens look for premium lenses like the DA* 16-50mm, Sigma 17-50mm, and DA* 50-135mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2015, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
DA* 50-135mm.
I would suggest this one, as it gives you some flexibility and is plenty crisp.
Keep in mind that getting crisp, colourful, good photos is the result of many hours of studying, years of experiences, experienced models, and a lot of support equipment.

If you are on a tight budget, look at Pentax DA 50mm f1.8. No zoom, but nice and sharp. Choose Av mode, go down to f2-f3,2, and you should be able to get fairly nice portraits. That said, the DA* 55mm is practically made for portraits. As is the FA 77mm limited. Sigma 85mm and Samyang 85mm are portrait lenses, too. Samyang has no AF and might be difficult to focus. Notice none of these lenses have a zoom range. This is because for top notch quality, you don't get compromises in the optical department. This also means the lenses are far more challenging to use.
Good luck
09-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The Sigma 85mm F1.4 is a very flattering focal length and has wonderful image quality.

The Pentax 77mm F1.8 is a great focal length and has great image quality but its autofocus is a tad slower than the Sigma.

Those two will be great on your camera for all kinds of portraits if you have plenty of room to move around to frame your shots. If you have to shoot in tight spaces, they won't be so great. I would then say the DA 50-135 F2.8 would be the best pick or even a wide-to-normal lens.

Bear in mind that I'm suggesting lenses which are tops for rendering faces beautifully in head and shoulders portraits and which also do a great job for full length portraits.

09-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

50-135... such a lens!
I owned the A* 85 1.4 and my shots with both show you can make excellent portraits with either.
09-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Head shots? Half body? Full length? It will depend.
Smaller lenses shine on the K-S1. DA70 for tighter shots, DA40 for longer would be a great combination. I use FA77, DA*55 or FA43 (even FA31) depending on what I'm after.

Mind you, the DA*50-135 is a pretty potent one stop shop.
Then there is the ludicrously cheap DA50/1.8 plastic fantastic - it punches well above its weight
09-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, I now realise it is not clear whether your models are in fact humans. If you're talking product shots that is another matter entirely.

09-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ah, if its product photos, then get a light setup and DFA 50mm f2.8 macro or DFA 100mm f2.8 macro. And tripod. Light, white platform and background is critical for product photos. Macro lenses tend to be the best bet because they are super sharp, have a flat field of focus, no lens character of their own (which is usually what you want for intimate portraits of people, animals), and they allow you to take macro photos of details and small things like jewelery.