Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Catscradle's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Weymouth, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 220
Bolt VS-510P and K-3 TTL

I just got the Bolt VS-510P from B&H. TTL does not seem to work for me. I set the mode to TTL and tried it with the K-3 in aperture, shutter, & programmed, none of them seemed to work. Is there something I need to set on the camera? Is this a problem with the Bolt?
Any suggestions?

09-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,925
QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
I just got the Bolt VS-510P from B&H. TTL does not seem to work for me. I set the mode to TTL and tried it with the K-3 in aperture, shutter, & programmed, none of them seemed to work. Is there something I need to set on the camera? Is this a problem with the Bolt?
Any suggestions?
What do you mean by "TTL does not seem to work"? What about it isn't working?

The flash should be set to P-TTL mode, the camera can be set to any mode you want, but lets assume you are using Av mode. So, you choose an aperture like f/4. The camera sets the rest of the settings. When you hit the shutter button, the Bolt should send out a pre-flash, meter that, and adjust its power accordingly to get you a good exposure.
09-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,843
TTL is not P-TTL - not sure which that Bolt supports. If it supports only TTL it will not work. If it supports P-TTL then it should work in that mode.

Reading their site it appears they mean P-TTL but say TTL. I'm looking for a manual still have not located it to check.
09-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Catscradle's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Weymouth, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 220
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
What do you mean by "TTL does not seem to work"? What about it isn't working?

The flash should be set to P-TTL mode, the camera can be set to any mode you want, but lets assume you are using Av mode. So, you choose an aperture like f/4. The camera sets the rest of the settings. When you hit the shutter button, the Bolt should send out a pre-flash, meter that, and adjust its power accordingly to get you a good exposure.
The behavior I observe is that the flash power seems fixed. I'm new to TTL and don't know what to expect. However, lets say I do set the aperture to f/4 in Av mode, the camera will set the shutter speed very slow and the flash will be just too much. If I use Tv mode it seems to work better I think.
The pre-flash may be just too quick, but I haven't noticed that it has happened.

09-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,843
QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
The behavior I observe is that the flash power seems fixed. I'm new to TTL and don't know what to expect. However, lets say I do set the aperture to f/4 in Av mode, the camera will set the shutter speed very slow and the flash will be just too much. If I use Tv mode it seems to work better I think.
The pre-flash may be just too quick, but I haven't noticed that it has happened.
Ah - that's probably not a problem with the flash. The Pentax tries to fill flash and low apertures are overwhelmed when you are close. I have taken to using the x sync mode for my flash work that requires a wider open aperture. I also have tried to move to a higher f/stop with x mode and let the flash fire a higher power pulse. You can also manually force the iso lower to help with this.
09-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,925
QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
The behavior I observe is that the flash power seems fixed.
So, in Av mode, f/4 might let in too much light, f/8 might be just right and f/16 would be too dark?
09-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Catscradle's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Weymouth, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 220
Original Poster
I think I may have found the problem. I think the contacts aren't always making a good contact, I tried loosening the flash, jiggling it around in the hot shot, and then tightening it down again; after that it appeared to work though the result does seem too bright for my taste.
09-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,925
QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
I think I may have found the problem. I think the contacts aren't always making a good contact, I tried loosening the flash, jiggling it around in the hot shot, and then tightening it down again; after that it appeared to work though the result does seem too bright for my taste.
Use flash exposure compensation to set the flash to a level that you like. You should be able to set it on the flash itself or in the camera body under the flash settings menu on the 4 way d-pad.

09-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Catscradle's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Weymouth, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 220
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your help with this issue.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bolt, bolt vs-510p, camera, k-3, pentax help, photography, troubleshooting, ttl, vs-510p, vs-510p and k-3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bolt VS-510P flash gosman Pentax Price Watch 1 07-29-2015 10:27 PM
Bolt VS-510P Wireless TTL Flash $149 @ B&H comprock Pentax Price Watch 0 07-27-2015 03:16 PM
Pentax K-3 and P-TTL flash? pentaxmz Pentax K-3 19 05-02-2015 08:32 PM
K-3 and P-TTL Vinfer Pentax K-3 24 01-08-2014 10:52 AM
Bolt VS-510P Flash...anyone have one? CRMassart Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 0 05-10-2013 05:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top