Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #1

K200d rattles when switched off - troubleshooting?

Hi all,

if this has already been asked before, please point me to the proper thread.

The following symptoms arise:
1) A K200D starts giving off fast knocking/clicking sound if camera is switched off and an SD card is inserted into the body.

2) fully charged batteries are shown to have no charge

3) if SD card is already in and you switch the camera on and off many times, on some occasions it starts rattling/clicking/knocking like at symptom 1, the sound stops when you switch the camera ON (yes, not OFF!)

Any idea what's going on?

TX,

David

09-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not familiar with the k200d, but on my camera I have dust reduction feature turned on which shake at on or off or both depending on how you set it. I would not describe it as a rattle, but maybe you would. Is itturned on for shutdown?
09-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #3

Yes, the auto-shake sensor cleaning would be my guess, too. Make sure it's turned off & then see what happens.

As for the battery indicator, some batteries might register full on the charger, but still be weak when it comes to ideal output for the camera. At least that's my best guess, as I've experienced this myself. Sometimes I've even had the reading on the LCD increase after the batteries have sat in the camera for a while.

Pop a new set of lithium batteries in, and most likely it will register as full for a long time. Otherwise, be prepared to see variations from time to time.
09-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So it continues to emit a rumbling sound while it's off, or does it stop shortly after being switched off? The latter is normal if shutdown DR is on; the former would indicate some sort of malfunction in the system.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
AA batteries ?

Yes , unfortunately too many Pentax cameras suffer from the Voltage issue ..
They report low battery too early .. Pop in some fresh batteries and after maybe 50 shots it starts giving you a low battery warning .
There is only one cure Im aware of , CR-V3 ...
I currently run CR-V3 in my istD as it suffers the Battery voltage issue .

A lot of people think the camera uses a lot of power , or that the batteries dont last .
The real issue is the voltage level at which the camera reports low battery , and then refuses to work ( it matters not that there is still plenty of power left in the batteries as its the voltage level at issue )
I dont know if a K200D will run CR-V3 , istD to K100 will , Im also not sure about other AA powered Pentax cameras .
Anyhow , the battery ( voltage ) issue is a very common one with AA Pentax cameras .
Also another thing with the K200D , you can select the battery type in the menu .. ( I hope you have selected the correct option for the batteries you are using )
09-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #6

I believe the last Pentax body that would accept CR-V3 batteries was the K100d.
09-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
AA batteries ?

Yes , unfortunately too many Pentax cameras suffer from the Voltage issue ..
They report low battery too early .. Pop in some fresh batteries and after maybe 50 shots it starts giving you a low battery warning .
There is only one cure Im aware of , CR-V3 ...
I currently run CR-V3 in my istD as it suffers the Battery voltage issue .

A lot of people think the camera uses a lot of power , or that the batteries dont last .
The real issue is the voltage level at which the camera reports low battery , and then refuses to work ( it matters not that there is still plenty of power left in the batteries as its the voltage level at issue )
I dont know if a K200D will run CR-V3 , istD to K100 will , Im also not sure about other AA powered Pentax cameras .
Anyhow , the battery ( voltage ) issue is a very common one with AA Pentax cameras .
Also another thing with the K200D , you can select the battery type in the menu .. ( I hope you have selected the correct option for the batteries you are using )
I will second that and reinforce the point about the menu selection. I found the 'auto' mode for selecting battery to be useless for AA. The battery life increases dramatically with a manual mode selection.

09-24-2015, 02:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So it continues to emit a rumbling sound while it's off, or does it stop shortly after being switched off? The latter is normal if shutdown DR is on; the former would indicate some sort of malfunction in the system.
Hi folks, thank you for your replies.

The camera does keep on rattling while being switched off if the SD card is inserted and the camera was not on before either. I am sure it is a malfunction and not the SR or sensor cleaning happening, but is there a known cause or remedy?
09-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dieda Quote
Hi folks, thank you for your replies.

The camera does keep on rattling while being switched off if the SD card is inserted and the camera was not on before either. I am sure it is a malfunction and not the SR or sensor cleaning happening, but is there a known cause or remedy?
Does it happen with any SD card, or just that one?

The rumbling should only last about half a second for DR.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have just read the manual and the dust removal function can be set to vibrate when the camera is switched on but not upon switching off. Vibration when inserting an sd card should not happen. I have a K100d which is only usable with non rechargeable Energiser Lithium batteries, new they run at 1.7V, much higher that rechargables.