Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

K-30 Haven't used in a long time - Too DARK even in Auto!

So I hadn't gotten my camera out in awhile.. Maybe even a year or more.. I put in a fresh battery, and attempted a warm up in the backyard..

Problem is, the settings seem to be bonkers! Every photo taken, even shooting directly at the cloudless sky, is incredibly dark.. If it's not a huge light source, it's basically pitch black. I tried monkeying with aperture setting, ISO, etc, in all kinds of combinations, thinking I was just rusty and somehow forgot all my knowledge.... still seemed weird considering shooting in full AUTO had the same results.

I looked up the problem and apparently some people have had this issue with K-30s or other K models, when not used for awhile... One fix was to go into Continuous shooting mode and just let it 'exercise' for awhile.

That hasn't helped me.

A very strange thing, is that when hitting the LV button, the photos come out nice and bright and probably how they ought to be coming out in the first place..

I haven't yet attempted a factory reset (didn't work for other people having the same issue) and I didn't want to lose the settings I made for manual mode with an older lens, but I'm about ready to do it, though it doesn't seem like it'll solve the issue.

Any ideas before I get desperate?? Thanks!

edit: I took off the Pentax DA 55-300mm Lens and attached my Old Pentax Asahi 50mm lens in manual mode. Pictures are coming out just fine with that lens manually.
What do you suppose that means?

Last edited by Polioliolio; 09-23-2015 at 12:01 PM.
09-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Polioliolio Quote
So I hadn't gotten my camera out in awhile.. Maybe even a year or more.. I put in a fresh battery, and attempted a warm up in the backyard..

Problem is, the settings seem to be bonkers! Every photo taken, even shooting directly at the cloudless sky, is incredibly dark.. If it's not a huge light source, it's basically pitch black. I tried monkeying with aperture setting, ISO, etc, in all kinds of combinations, thinking I was just rusty and somehow forgot all my knowledge.... still seemed weird considering shooting in full AUTO had the same results.

I looked up the problem and apparently some people have had this issue with K-30s or other K models, when not used for awhile... One fix was to go into Continuous shooting mode and just let it 'exercise' for awhile.

That hasn't helped me.

A very strange thing, is that when hitting the LV button, the photos come out nice and bright and probably how they ought to be coming out in the first place..

I haven't yet attempted a factory reset (didn't work for other people having the same issue) and I didn't want to lose the settings I made for manual mode with an older lens, but I'm about ready to do it, though it doesn't seem like it'll solve the issue.

Any ideas before I get desperate?? Thanks!
I believe there is some sort of aperture mechanism that is faulty in the K-30/50 series cameras as many people have reported this same issue.
09-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel sure this is irrelevant, but while you are desperate.... You're sure the exposure compensation didn't get moved to -5? I managed to confuse myself about a camera once over that mishap.
09-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
I feel sure this is irrelevant, but while you are desperate.... You're sure the exposure compensation didn't get moved to -5? I managed to confuse myself about a camera once over that mishap.

It's at the default now, but thanks for the idea.

It's probably as eonoske says.

09-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can you post a straight-from-the-camera jpeg showing the problem? It would be good to look at the exif and see if there's a settings explanation.
09-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Point the camera out the window towards sunlight - look at the lens during operation. Does it stop down? Does it stop down to a tiny hole or? For this you should be on manual or another mode that allows you to set a long shutter speed.
09-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd say definitely aperture control block problem.
Cf. this thread.