Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5 Integral Flash Non-Functional

Just picked up a used K-5 at a great price due to non-functional integral flash. The camera does not allow the shutter to fire if the flash is activated, unless "release while charging" is enabled in the setup menu. I brought the camera knowing this and was not intending to do anything about fixing it.

Having received the camera, I was very pleased to find it is in excellent cosmetic condition, with a shutter count of only 1,169. I wanted to find out if this was a known problem with the K-5 (just in case it was an easy fix)? I have dismantled a K-x to replace the front casing, so I am not too scared about opening up the camera (not a huge sum invested anyway).

If this post would be better placed in the K-5 specific discussion folder, please let me know for future reference. Thanks!

09-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not a known issue as far as I know. Sounds like the flash could have been DoA given the camera's low mileage.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't use the built-in flash at all (may be once or twice to test functionality). You should be fine if the hot-shoe mount is working so that you can mount an external flash.
09-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like the flash could have been DoA given the camera's low mileage.
That was one of my first thoughts. I wondered if the camera had actually come from the auction lots that were floating around the Denver area recently (mostly with sensor stains). In this case the serial number is intact, and the accessories were included, so that seems unlikely.

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
You should be fine if the hot-shoe mount is working so that you can mount an external flash.
I will have to check the hot shoe out at some point. I really just got the camera to cover my sons soccer games and dance recitals anyway. The high ISO performance should be much better than my trusty K-7 for the fall night games.

09-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Three possibilities:
  • Dead or dying capacitor in the flash circuitry
  • Battery not so good anymore
  • Something else

Steve
09-27-2015, 02:50 AM   #6

Hi
My 5 yr old K5 flash has just gone the same way.. Some googling leads me to think that a fuse in the flash circuitry has blown..
Some body reported that it was repaired within half an hour!
If you do open yours up to look inside, please report back if you fix it, I might then be brave enough to do the same.
Mand