Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 11:19 PM   #1

could my K5 ii have a problem?

Ever since receiving a new lens recently I have realised something isn't quite right. I initially thought that this was the lens (see my previous thread), however I am starting to think it may be the camera.

I have both the K5 and a K500. To achieve focus on the k5 I need to turn the focus ring a fraction further than i would do for the equivalent photo on the k500 (a really tiny amount, perhaps 1mm). This hasn't been a problem up until now as all of my lenses have focused past infinity giving me the leeway I need to infinity focus on either camera. My new lens (HD DA40) has a hard stop, which seems to be calibrated for my k500. As such In order to achieve a sharp image on my k5 i would need to turn the focus ring a fraction past the infinity stop. I am wondering:

• Should there be a difference between these two cameras in terms of the focusing? (even if it a very very small difference)
  • If a difference is to be expected should the new lens be calibrated in such a way that infinity focus can be achieved on both cameras?

I don't know whether I need to send the lens back to be re-calibrated, or whether the fault actually lies with the k5. What are peoples thoughts?

09-23-2015, 11:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There shouldn't be a difference when focusing manually (unless you have the diopter set on accident!), but for AF it's perfectly normal and per-lens fine adjustments may be needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #3

How do you know that you achieved focus?
Judging by the viewfinder? Chances are your matte screen isn't shimmed properly.
Judging by AF confirm? Maybe your AF is mis-calibrated or you accidentially dialed in AF adjust.
Judging from live view? In this case your K5 needs to be adjusted. This can be done by turning 3 recessed screws on the bottom, but i'd still send it in rather than try myself.
09-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
As Adam said, phase-detect AF often exhibits such differences, and this can be dialed out.

Try contrast-detect AF, or focus manually using maximum magnification in live view. If the infinity stop is accurate, you need to dial in some AF compensation. If you still need to focus past infinity, i.e. if the lens is actually front-focused at the hard infinity stop, and only on the K-5, then there is a mechanical problem with the camera. Conversely, if it's front focused on both cameras, the mechanical problem is in the lens.

09-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
I have been relying on CDAF for my testing (no magnified live view on the k500 as far as I am aware?), which on both cameras brings the lens all the way to the infinity hard stop. Both look sharp until you zoom in, and when you do the k5 is just out of focus. After this I switched to magnified live view on the k5 to confirm that CDAF wasn't focusing past infinity, which it wasn't. As such the only way for the k5 to get infinity focus on the lens would be to turn the focus ring past the hard stop.
09-25-2015, 06:10 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Sounds like the K-5 is out of alignment. Do other lenses show a disparity at infinity between the two cameras?
09-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
I don't have a problem with any other lenses, but all my other lenses focus past infinity which I guess would hide the problem? If I look at the markings on the top of my sigma I can see that my k500 is in focus at infinity a slither in front of the infinity marking on the lens, and the K5 is in focus bang on the marking, so the two bodies are definitely calibrated differently.