Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

No manual? If you purchased new from a reputable dealer, it should have been in the box with the camera. You can download a PDF from Ricoh/Pentax Canada:

Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

If you allow the camera to chose the focus point, it will lock on that point where it is able to attain best focus. This may or may not be the eye. You have three main options and numerous other techniques:
  • Use center-point AF on the eye and recompose
  • Compose and manually change the focus point to the eye
  • Use manual focus
With DA-series lenses you also have the option to manually fine adjust using the quick-shift feature.

You lost me here. You should be able to focus from the minimum focus distance to infinity with any lens that has been properly fitted to your camera. The exceptions would be if you are using extension tubes for macro or with an adapted M42 screw mount lens with an improper adapter or if the lens is not in a proper condition (physical damage or messed up service attempt).

As for the softness, part of the blame might lie with the lens and how it was being used. The 18-50 is a capable optic, but not particularly sharp wide open as in the photo above. I suggest spending some time with your camera on a wider range of subjects (including the baby) and learn how to leverage its features to get the results you have in mind. The suggestions above are good ones, though some like decoupling the AF (back-button focus) are more advanced techniques and might be better left until you have mastered the basics.

Steve
I tried all these suggestions and it still doesn't work I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong In this photo I had used the AF.C setting, focused on the snail and then with the shutter half pressed I recomposed. The focus didn't stay on the snail

---------- Post added 09-25-15 at 12:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I have the K-S2. It is a nice camera. Mine is "forest green". Very nice.

In your case, you need to turn off the auto AF select and go to manul selection of focus points.
First, see to that your flip back screen is visible with the LCD panel facing towards you. Otherwise you won't see a thing.
Second, press the INFO button.
Third, locate the third row from top to bottom. Move the marker with the 4-way controller (it is around the OK button) to the *second column* from left in the third row. When you hare highlighting this, press the OK-button.

Here you can select between Auto 11, Auto 5, Select, Select Extended and Spot. I recommend choosing the Select-option. You choose it with the 4-way controller then press OK when you are highlightning the Select-option.

Now you're all set.

Ok, time to take a picture.
At the back of the screen you should have the AF area visible with a red dot showing the actual AF position. With the 4-way controller you can now move around and select the position of your choice. If you have a look in the viewfinder, you will find a red dot showing the AF position.

When you have moved it to your preferred position just shoot away, press the shutter button.

The AF stays where you left it, so if you want to reset it to the center just press the OK button.

You can also choose the Spot AF - this locks the AF in the middle and then you re-compose.

If you wish to change ISO, flash and White balance etc. you have to give the OK button a *long* press - then it switches from AF position to those functions. When you're finished, you can go back to AF point selection with a long press on the OK again.
thanks again.i tried this and it didn't work. how do i recompose? with the shutter half pressed?

---------- Post added 09-25-15 at 12:18 PM ----------

I think I found a solution that seems to work for me. In Live View mode, Menu - Live View - Contrast AF - the little icon with the moving rectangular frames. It locks the focus on one point and keeps it there when you recompose while keeping the focus green square on.

Thank you again for all your help.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
09-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

You focus with the shutter half pressed and then it's locked, then you can re-compose with shutter half pressed. Or you can use the 4-way controller to set one of the 11 focus points in the viewfinder - as I've described. I use AF.A focus, works for me.

You should have a PDF-version of the manual on the CD that came with your camera. The K-S2 is supplied with a compact printed booklet, more of a reference guide. Then the manual is on the CD so you can view it on screen.
09-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barladeanca Quote
Hello

I just purchased a KS2. I do newborn photography so I was looking for a camera that would allow me o get great sharp focus on babies faces. I had a session yesterday and most of my images came out soft. I was not able to find a way to focus on the face, the camera just seems to focus wherever it wants. is there a way to focus on one spot of your choice? Is it possible to focus on a spot and then move the camera to compose? I have the standard 18-50 lens. Thank you
Definitely use the center point only if you're shooting through the viewfinder.

Live view has a "face detection" feature which should indicate when it's focusing on the face. I would recommend using this.

when you recompose do the little green brackets stay on the focus point or move with your movement?
If you recompose you have to re-focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am trying this now but not sure if it's working...when you recompose do the little green brackets stay on the focus point or move with your movement?
In AF-C (auto-focus continuous) mode, the camera will attempt to hold focus on the last lock (green hexagon displayed). How successful it is depends on the camera model, how the intended subject moves in the frame, and other settings detailed on page 55 in the manual. When using AF-S (auto-focus single) the point of focus remains set (focus ring will not move) once focus is attained. I personally use AF-S with the focus area set to spot (center) and recompose as needed. The flow goes like this:
  • Place the intended point of focus within the center viewfinder brackets
  • Half press the shutter and wait until you hear the "beep". A green hexagon should light at bottom in the viewfinder. The green hexagon indicates that focus has been acquired and locked.*
  • Continuing the half press of the shutter, recompose. Take care to not move closer or further away from the subject while recomposing.
  • Fully release the shutter to take the photo
Note that the technique assumes that the distance from the intended point of focus to the sensor remains the same as you recompose. Using a narrower aperture for greater depth of field helps. Note also that this comment as well as most of the others on this thread pertain to AF when using the optical viewfinder. AF in live view (green brackets) is not the same and is covered on page 57 of the manual.

In regards to your missing manual...Are you sure your camera is new stock and not a used of refurbished camera? Is your shutter count in line with your usage? This site has a utility to check the shutter count. Simply upload an unedited jpeg or raw file using the form on the page linked below:

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

Steve

* There is often some confusion regarding the green hexagon vs. the red dot. The hexagon indicates focus has been attained. The red dot indicates the active focus point only.

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-25-2015 at 01:11 PM.
09-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #20

Original Poster
Steve - that totally works! Thank you soooo much!

Andreea

---------- Post added 09-25-15 at 01:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
You focus with the shutter half pressed and then it's locked, then you can re-compose with shutter half pressed. Or you can use the 4-way controller to set one of the 11 focus points in the viewfinder - as I've described. I use AF.A focus, works for me.

You should have a PDF-version of the manual on the CD that came with your camera. The K-S2 is supplied with a compact printed booklet, more of a reference guide. Then the manual is on the CD so you can view it on screen.
Thank you
09-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve - that totally works! Thank you soooo much!
My pleasure! Have fun!

Steve
09-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seriously - I know that these turn into "you need to spend more money" conversations, but what 1.4 lens are you talking about? I absolutely am confident that the DA*55 is perfect for shooting newborns because the way it renders skin. I've done a decent about of newborn and the 55 stands heads and shoulders above other lenses for babies, including the FA 77 1.8.