Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Pentax ME Super's shutter is stuck

So I got a Pentax ME Super recently. Used, seemed in decent condition. The batteries were dead, but the shutter was working and the viewfinder was fine so I figured it had a good shot of being usable. I got new batteries today and all of a sudden the shutter is stuck. The film advance lever works, and the shutter is TRYING to go up (it goes up about a millimeter before stopping) but it won't go all the way. I've tried whacking it to see if the shutter wasn't fully cocked, but it seems to be in the right position. Any advice other than throwing it away? If I have to get down and dirty and open this thing up and mess with the insides, I'll do it.

09-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I've got a couple me supers. It's surprisingly easy to get the shutter to act uncooperative with them.
The mistake I usually make is leaving the setting wheel in the wrong mode. After that, my next most common mistake is firing a shot unintentionally with low light. Try the setting wheel first in auto and 125x with good light and see if that does anything. If it sticks in those and won't open (especially the 125x) then it needs to be opened up and given a once over.
09-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Exroadie Quote
I've got a couple me supers. It's surprisingly easy to get the shutter to act uncooperative with them.
The mistake I usually make is leaving the setting wheel in the wrong mode. After that, my next most common mistake is firing a shot unintentionally with low light. Try the setting wheel first in auto and 125x with good light and see if that does anything. If it sticks in those and won't open (especially the 125x) then it needs to be opened up and given a once over.

Okay, I've got the shutter working now but the shutter release button doesn't do anything... It can press it and it's not jammed or anything, but nothing happens. Ideas?
09-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

If the settings wheel is set to L, then it locks the shutter. Also, if the film hasn't been advanced, the shutter won't load up. I mention this one because on some of these, the gearing in the film advance gets worn or out of adjustment and you have to pull the film advance lever multiple times to get it to advance enough to arm the shutter.

09-26-2015, 05:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Exroadie Quote
If the settings wheel is set to L, then it locks the shutter. Also, if the film hasn't been advanced, the shutter won't load up. I mention this one because on some of these, the gearing in the film advance gets worn or out of adjustment and you have to pull the film advance lever multiple times to get it to advance enough to arm the shutter.
I've tried it on AUTO, M, 125X and B and the shutter doesn't work. And now the film advance lever is jammed. I'm guessing this camera is beyond my means of repair. Do you guys think it would be worth it to send it to Eric Hendrickson and cough up the $60, or are there better cameras I can get for that money?
09-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
Forum Member

I suspect the mechanism in the film advance is in need of servicing. Eric has done several of my cameras and lenses. I've been very pleased with the result. But, I really wanted those particular items. If you're looking to be more cost effective, you can sell your camera for parts and buy another that works already. Fully functional cameras with lenses and other kit often turn up for less than fifty bucks. Once you find a model of camera that suits you, then you get spares and have Eric get them all good as new.
I got my first me super in a deal where I was after a lens that was part of the kit and it was all or nothing. I'm slowly selling off all the other stuff in the kit. But, I fooled around with the me super and decided I like it. I used it as my travel camera this summer. I usually use a K1000.
09-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sombrerobanana Quote
I've tried it on AUTO, M, 125X and B and the shutter doesn't work. And now the film advance lever is jammed. I'm guessing this camera is beyond my means of repair. Do you guys think it would be worth it to send it to Eric Hendrickson and cough up the $60, or are there better cameras I can get for that money?
I'd send any old film camera that I wanted to use for service. They've likely been in a drawer for years and never serviced before that.
09-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
Forum Member

Before you chuck the camera, you might watch this video and see if it looks like something you'd be able to do.

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 01:49 PM ----------

This also covers the same repair, but in pictures instead of video.
Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings > Three Common Failure Problems

09-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
I'd definitely be able to pull it apart and work on it, I'm comfortable doing stuff like that, but the foam is deteriorating and I wouldn't wanna go through all that work to find that all my pictures got ruined anyways. I'll shelf this camera and be on the lookout for a nice one for cheap. Thanks guys!