Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Weird wavy artifacting on k-01?

Hi everyone!

I was using my k-01 today with my Takumar Bayonet 135mm on a short walk, and during this walk the live view display was showing me wavy purple and glitching instead of what the lens would show.
After turning it off and back on it corrected itself, but what could have caused this issue?

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 03:12 PM ----------

Also there was a slight oily burning smell inside the camera...

09-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
RIP soon K-01...
09-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
RIP soon K-01...
I really hope not, I can't afford a new camera...

I only have have about 5000-6000 shots with this camera!
09-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think that is a sign of sensor failure (happened to a compact we had).
Or maybe you just turned on post processing by mistake?

09-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I think that is a sign of sensor failure (happened to a compact we had).
Or maybe you just turned on post processing by mistake?
I'm thinking it might have over heated temporarily because I tend to hold my k-01 one handed aiming up.
And since the lens is rather big it might have heated up the sensor too much.

And no it certainly was not post processing.

I guess if it happens again I'll get ready to say my goodbyes...

---------- Post added 09-26-15 at 03:59 PM ----------

Some pictures taken after it happened

09-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hopefully it was just a one-time thing. Next time when it happens, take a photo. Good luck :/
09-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I'm thinking it might have over heated temporarily because I tend to hold my k-01 one handed aiming up.
And since the lens is rather big it might have heated up the sensor too much.
This has happened to me before a couple times. Usually in the summer time, when its hot. And keep in mind, that the K-01 usually stops down the lens, but it cannot do that with that Takumar - so a lot more light was being focused onto the sensor than it would have been with an automatic lens.
Now I started turning off the camera as soon as I know I won't be using it for over a minute. And I also keep it aimed down and usually put the lens cap back on when not in use.
I hope there is nothing to worry about
09-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This has happened to me before a couple times. Usually in the summer time, when its hot. And keep in mind, that the K-01 usually stops down the lens, but it cannot do that with that Takumar - so a lot more light was being focused onto the sensor than it would have been with an automatic lens.
Now I started turning off the camera as soon as I know I won't be using it for over a minute. And I also keep it aimed down and usually put the lens cap back on when not in use.
I hope there is nothing to worry about
Ah it's not a true Takumar,

Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

But it's comforting to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to in these given circumstances, I'll be more careful from now on... especially when using bigger lenses.

09-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Could be a short in the ribbon cable connecting the mainboard to the screen as well. Could you still see all the icons, etc.?
09-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Could be a short in the ribbon cable connecting the mainboard to the screen as well. Could you still see all the icons, etc.?
I still had the overlay. So I had information like ISO, etc...
09-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

OK, yea, sounds like board or sensor then.

I still had the overlay. So I had information like ISO, etc...
09-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #12

I'd think that the biggest source of heat would be the LCD.
09-27-2015, 04:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
I'd think that the biggest source of heat would be the LCD.
The K-01 is constantly in live view mode, so the sensor is heating up as well. And if the lens is fast, it is focusing a good amount of light into the "mirror box" (or course, there is no mirror in K-01). I think all of this together can cause overheating, no?
And all lenses that have aperture in A-mode, will automatically get stopped down by camera when camera is running (not just for the photo). All lenses without A-mount, so lenses like Pentax M series, Takumar, m42 lenses, and so on, will not be stopped down (unless you do this by hand). With bright aperture lenses this means more heat, less protection, and possibly more difficult composition
09-27-2015, 04:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really hope not, I can't afford a new camera... I only have have about 5000-6000 shots with this camera!
I had once or twice similar issues with K-01 but all these were attributed to a low battery (last bar). Once battery was charged camera operates like new. Now, after owning it 2 years and 25 000 shots in , I can tell this K-01 is a little work horse. Not a single dead or hot pixel on either sensor or the LCD, constantly delivering great photos. Unlike others I never experience overheating - maybe because my camera is set to auto-power saving mode (I think it sleeps after some time like 1 minute) - I just touch the shutter button and it wakes up in an instant !
As long as it works and takes great photos - don't worry too much

PS: my firmware is 1.05 so I recommend that too.