Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 & Corrupted Cards (sort of)

I've been having a problem with my relatively new K3. After transferring files to my computer, the cards are unreadable when put back in the camera. The cards can still be read by the computer. This has never happened with my K5IIs.

09-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the stock answer to that is to format the cards in the camera and see if it helps.

Also, Mac or PC? There were a number of threads awhile back with issues on Mac's because of an OS incompatibility. That seemed to have gotten fixed by Apple at some point. But don't hold to me that, I have no experience with Mac, just remembering something I read here.
09-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
The problem is the requirement to reformat the cards. I like to have files on the card as long as possible, as another back-up. I don't want to reformat them, although I did reformat one card recently. I did upgrade to Yosemite. It didn't happen before that.
09-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
The problem is the requirement to reformat the cards.
What I meant was to format the cards on the camera once and then see if they will work, not necessarily reformat it each time. Just curious to see if the issue is because the cards were formatted on the computer rather than the camera.

Here are some other threads that might help:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/304480-card-formatting.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/247403-m...very-time.html

I ALWAYS format any card that goes into the camera, in the camera. Just part of my routine, upload to computer,make backup,put card back in camera,format. I can see what you are trying to achieve but I don't consider an SD card as a backup. I often have a full or nearly full card or cards from a shoot so putting those back in the camera with a previous gig's images just does not work for me. YMMV of course.

09-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem is the requirement to reformat the cards. I like to have files on the card as long as possible, as another back-up. I don't want to reformat them, although I did reformat one card recently. I did upgrade to Yosemite. It didn't happen before that.
Conventional wisdom regarding SD card use:
  • Whenever possible format using the camera
  • If you cannot use the camera, format using the free utility from the SD Association:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

It would take several paragraphs to fully explain why, but the format utility built into the OS is not your friend where SD cards are concerned. This is particularly true for SDXC.
  • When using a card reader, take care to not remove the card without doing an eject (unmount) first. The eject (or unmount) closes all open files and erases all temporary files and folders from the card.
That should about do it.

Steve
09-26-2015, 10:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've had random boot failure with Sandisk Pro cards when used with K-3, the same cards always worked fine with K-5, K-200 and card reader of laptops. I replaced the Sandisk Pro by Transcend 600x, and sold the Sandisk Pro cards with the K-5.
09-27-2015, 12:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
All cards are formatted in the camera before being used.
The cards (2 different 64 Gig micros), have become unreadable by the camera after transferring files to the computer via a card reader. This is the second time for one of the two cards.
09-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cards (2 different 64 Gig micros), have become unreadable by the camera after transferring files to the computer via a card reader. This is the second time for one of the two cards.
That sounds similar to the issue I remember from before. It was Mac related. Follow the steps that Steve posted and format the card with the utility. I think that is what fixed it before. Or maybe there was another Mac OS update, I'm not sure. I cannot find the thread so going by memory. Which is not so good anymore

Also, have you formatted them in camera since upgrading to Yosemite?

09-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Read comment above regarding eject/unmount of your card. That is the most likely cause of what you are seeing. You can't just yank it out. As a fix, you have no option at this point other than to reformat. In this case, I would suggest the SD Assoc utility over the camera. Use the FULL (Overwrite) option.

Steve
09-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't you guys lock you SD cards BEFORE putting them into the card reader?
Geez, why do you think there is a switch on the card? Lock it an the PC (PC or Mac) CANNOT modify the data.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
09-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Don't you guys lock you SD cards BEFORE putting them into the card reader?
No, I don't, though doing so might provide a solution. Your comment does bring up an interesting question regarding host responsibility for respecting the write-protect switch and whether that extends to the full device and how good card reader support is for the feature. It has been my practice to ignore the switch based on some old wive's tail I read at one time that indicated that it doesn't do much.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/30lqmq/eli5_how_does_the..._sd_card_work/

The switch is just a signal to tell the reader to not write and works the same as the similar switch on a 3.5" floppy disk. It does nothing with the card circuitry.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-27-2015 at 10:58 PM.
09-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh, I see now. The discussion was about SD card corruption where the only reference was to an allegorical reference to MAC's and a reference to Reddit, the most trustworthy name on the intertubes.

So you go out and spend about 1K USD on a computer, 2K USD on a camera body and a few lenses. So at what point do you assume that the best deal is to get an el-cheapo SD card and reader?

To test if it works - lock the card, put it in the reader and try to write (copy, save - whatever) something to it. If the write fails, you are good to go.
If the write is successful, then either your reader or card is defective. (Another way to test the lock is to lock the card and put it into your camera - at least on my 2008 K20D it says card locked when I power up - hence a clue).
If your card is locked (verified by putting the camera method) and you have it in the reader but you are able to write to the card, then you have an el-cheapo reader.
If you take the card/reader to another computer and it CAN NOT write to the card, then you are in a world of hurt because your computer is the el-cheapo.

The use of the switch on SD cards has saved my bacon a few times. When I am out and about I have 1 to 2 cards in my bag. I format the cards as I get ready to use them and I only put cards in my camera that have the switch in the unlock position. When the card gets full, I lock the card and get a unlocked card. If it is in my bag and locked - then it is not ready for use. When I am copying images off of the card on to my Wolverine storage device or my hard drive they are locked. At least I have good quality equipment that works according to the specs.

I am just astounded that people are not using this simple technique.

Now, have I done really stupid things in the past? Yup, this past summer I took part in a NG #YourShotMeetUp and was using ExifToolGUI to geotag images while they were still on the card (a really stupid thing to do). So I was doing "other" file maintenance activities at the same time and ended up deleting the images off of the card. Before the files were all deleted, I pulled the card reader out of the USB slot, while cursing into the ether. I was able to recover only about 50% of the images. Pure stupidity on my part. If I had been following my standard protocol the attempt to delete the images would have failed outright.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 09-28-2015 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Format
09-30-2015, 10:19 PM   #13

Original Poster
Some additional info: This only happened with these two 64 Gig cards (both different). I haven't had a problem with smaller cards: 32, 16x3, 8x2.

---------- Post added 09-30-15 at 10:29 PM ----------

Eh, I don't know. I thought, "Hey, why don't I try the 2 cards in my K5?"
They both worked.
So, then I thought, "I should retry them in my K3 now."
They both worked. It's a mystery to me.
09-30-2015, 11:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The issue can be a timing issue and may happen randomly (influenced by temperature and battery level), or related to the quality of contact between the camera socket and the SD card itself.
10-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
works according to the specs.
The lock feature is optional for all host devices...per the spec and the details of how it should be implemented is not specified. Glad your bacon is safe and that your flow works.

Steve