Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Regularly prompted to re-enter time/date on K-r

Hi all

I'm sure there's a simple explanation, but I can't figure it out!

Very often when I switch on my K-r, I'm prompted to enter the time/date. I do this and then a day or two later it will have reset to 01/01/2010.

I've had the camera about 3 years, but this has only started recently.

It's a bit of a pain re-entering the correct info.

I'm sure I've probably just hit some setting/function accidentally.

If anyone can shed any light o by his I'd be most grateful!

Thanks

Si

09-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Is your battery holding its charge? There is a clock backup battery/accumulator inside the camera body that keeps the clock running when the main battery is out or discharged. This battery itself will run down as it is charged by the main power source. These batteries/accumulators often have very limited fully discharged - charging life so if you are in the habit of removing the main battery for days at a time you can actually shorten the life of the backup battery.

Make sure your main battery is in good order and fully charged and leave it in the camera for a day or so without powering it on except the set the time date. This should charge the clock backup fully. If replacing the main battery doesn't solve the problem the clock backup probably needs to be replaced. This should be done by a service center as it involves disasembly and soldering - although you could DIY if you could get the part and feel confident about opening your camera and poking about with a soldering iron.
09-28-2015, 05:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if it is the same on the K-R, but the K-01 I just opened had a regular lithium button cell mounted to the mainboard as its bios/clock battery, not a cap or rechargeable battery. Presuming the K-R has a similar design, this is something you'd want to have a shop do, since it entails uncasing basically the entire rear of the camera to replace.
09-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply guys.

I'll have a look into what you have said - I'm not one to mess about with technology, so I guess I'll have to go to an expert.

It's not a big problem, but it's slightly annoying.

Thanks again

Si