Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Scope, Adapter & K100D HELP

Got a Pentax PF-80ED Spotting scope, a Pentax camera adapter PF-CA35 and a Pentax k 100 d camera all screwed together and set on my tripod. Set the camera to Manual Focus (MF) and to Aperture-Priority Auto Exposure Mode (Av???). I can see thru the scope, focus the scope, everything as expected - no joy with the shutter release. Won't take a picture. Any ideas what I missed?

09-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to enable the option to use aperture ring (yes I know there is not one) - this allows the shutter to fire when using a lens without the A series contacts.
09-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

After setting the above you can use the green button in manual mode to set the shutter speed. Since the lens is fixed aperture Av mode should work as well.
09-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 68bmw Quote
Got a Pentax PF-80ED Spotting scope, a Pentax camera adapter PF-CA35 and a Pentax k 100 d camera all screwed together and set on my tripod. Set the camera to Manual Focus (MF) and to Aperture-Priority Auto Exposure Mode (Av???). I can see thru the scope, focus the scope, everything as expected - no joy with the shutter release. Won't take a picture. Any ideas what I missed?
I've never been able to take pictures using Av mode, at least not on K10D, K-7, K-5, or K-3. It only works in M mode (Manual exposure mode) (with PF-80EDA and PF-CA35, or non-A lenses).

As others have pointed out, you have to enable the use of the aperture ring. However, with the K100D, I'm not sure if you also have to customize the operation of the Green Button. According to the article on this forum, the K100D is not listed among the models for which you have to customize the Green Button operation (see the link below). K-3 is not listed there either. However, Yvon Bourque's e-book for the K-3 says you have to customize the Green Button on the K-3.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Once everything is set up:
  1. Focus manually
  2. Press the Green Button (the camera will take a meter reading and set the shutter speed).
  3. Press the shutter release button.

With a focal length of 1000 mm you will want to ensure that the mirror is locked in the up position and the camera has stopped shaking (from the mirror moving) before releasing the shutter. I use Live View (which locks the mirror up) and the Remote Control F to fire the shutter.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 09-29-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: omission
09-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I've never been able to take pictures using Av mode, at least not on K10D, K-7, K-5, or K-3. It only works in M mode (Manual exposure mode) (with PF-80EDA and PF-CA35, or non-A lenses).
I don't understand this. I am taking pictures with every variety of lens on my K5: t-mount, k-mount, M42, black anodised non-conducting or metal, with an aperture lever or without. Av works with everything. there should be no problem.
10-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
OK, got the aperture ring enabled and now the camera fires.
Now I clan learn about the A series contacts.

You need to enable the option to use aperture ring (yes I know there is not one) - this allows the shutter to fire when using a lens without the A series contacts.

---------- Post added 10-02-15 at 12:24 PM ----------

My K100D does not have a Green button, not that I know of anyway. Unless its buried in the menus somewhere. The Av Mode is working. I did have a screen pop up asking for the focal length. Before I could enter 1000 the screen disappeared and I hav not seen it since.

After setting the above you can use the green button in manual mode to set the shutter speed. Since the lens is fixed aperture Av mode should work as well.
10-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Every time you turn the K100D off and back on with a lens that doesn't support providing the camera the focal length it should prompt. If not there is a pace you can go in the menus and set it.

I think on the K100D you twist the dial around the shutter button. It has a depth of field preview symbol but I think that's what it used.
10-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

In M (manual mode) the AE-L button acts as the green button on the K100D.