Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-50 and Manual with P button

Please forgive any misuse of terminology or other DSLR beginner description mixups.

I am trying to use a manual k-mount lens on my K-50.

I have enabled the camera to use the shutter when the lens is not in "A". The shutter works great. Configuring the P button seems awkward. It is odd that it is under E-Dial Programming (I expected a P button menu). Oh well I think I have it set properly. I have the M Tv/Av green button as TvSHIFT.

As a test I set my aperture wide open, disabled auto ISO, and help down the P button. It changed my shutter speed, but still reads F--

If I understand this correctly, I don't control the shutter? Not really manual. I think my misunderstanding is that I keep expecting to use something like the little exposure meter I had my old K1000 or old Minoltas. If I don't use the P button and select my own shutter preference, it appears my results are simply an educated guess.

EDIT/UPDATE:
Seems that when I turned the K-50 off and on again, I was prompted for the lens focal length. Pretty cool. I get a much better shutter speed with the P button. I suppose when I change lenses, I will be prompted again after a off/on.

Last edited by Schick; 09-29-2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: New information found
09-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schick Quote
Please forgive any misuse of terminology or other DSLR beginner description mixups.

I am trying to use a manual k-mount lens on my K-50.

I have enabled the camera to use the shutter when the lens is not in "A". The shutter works great. Configuring the P button seems awkward. It is odd that it is under E-Dial Programming (I expected a P button menu). Oh well I think I have it set properly. I have the M Tv/Av green button as TvSHIFT.

As a test I set my aperture wide open, disabled auto ISO, and help down the P button. It changed my shutter speed, but still reads F--

If I understand this correctly, I don't control the shutter? Not really manual. I think my misunderstanding is that I keep expecting to use something like the little exposure meter I had my old K1000 or old Minoltas. If I don't use the P button and select my own shutter preference, it appears my results are simply an educated guess.

EDIT/UPDATE:
Seems that when I turned the K-50 off and on again, I was prompted for the lens focal length. Pretty cool. I get a much better shutter speed with the P button. I suppose when I change lenses, I will be prompted again after a off/on.
Yes - focal length prompt on startup is normal if using a lens without the ability to communicate the focal length (in other words anything other than F, FA, DA, D FA or equivalent). Also you can set it directly in the menus if you switch lenses without powering off but that's not the norm anyway. The menu option is mainly a useful thing if are using a manual zoom and you feel like you want it to be spot on exact each time you change focal length (a real pain and not recommended by most users).
09-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Schick Quote
The camera will never know the aperture value of a manual lens, so this indication is normal.

Just set the camera to M mode, hit the green button, and the camera will set the shutter speed to match whatever aperture is selected on the aperture ring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just set the camera to M mode, hit the green button, and the camera will set the shutter speed to match whatever aperture is selected on the aperture ring.
Yep, and you don't even have to set the green button action to Tv. It will automatically default to that because there is no other option.

Steve

09-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am curious now why I would ever change the K-50 back to disable the shutter when not in "A". Forgive my newbieness, but wouldn't leaving it on be a good default? What would a reason be to disable the shutter?