Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One should use caution though when shooting a house with a rectilinear ultra-wide angle since they will stretch the borders of the image frame. Sure, you can photograph a small room with it, but the extreme stretching can also make that small room look much larger than it actually is. My parents were looking at houses recently, and they were annoyed that some of the house interiors looked much more spacious in the pictures than they were in reality. Maybe some realtors actually prefer these somewhat deceptive photos, to help get prospective buyers in the door, but I would find it annoying as a shopper, as did my parents. So just something to be aware of.

For an illustration, here are a couple pictures of the same room I shot with the Olympus 9mm fisheye lens (m43 lens on my Panasonic GX7) and the Sigma 8-16mm on my K-30. Both lenses have approximately the same field of view, but the rectilinear 8-16mm makes the room look larger. The fisheye picture, on the other hand, does a good job of preserving the relative dimensions. The trade off is that the fisheye has curved lines (note the top of the walls).

09-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
One should use caution though when shooting a house with a rectilinear ultra-wide angle since they will stretch the borders of the image frame. Sure, you can photograph a small room with it, but the extreme stretching can also make that small room look much larger than it actually is. My parents were looking at houses recently, and they were annoyed that some of the house interiors looked much more spacious in the pictures than they were in reality. Maybe some realtors actually prefer these somewhat deceptive photos, to help get prospective buyers in the door, but I would find it annoying as a shopper, as did my parents. So just something to be aware of.

For an illustration, here are a couple pictures of the same room I shot with the Olympus 9mm fisheye lens (m43 lens on my Panasonic GX7) and the Sigma 8-16mm on my K-30. Both lenses have approximately the same field of view, but the rectilinear 8-16mm makes the room look larger. The fisheye picture, on the other hand, does a good job of preserving the relative dimensions. The trade off is that the fisheye has curved lines (note the top of the walls).

You are also comparing an 18mm equivalent fisheye to a 12mm equivalent. I wish you had the 8mm Samyang in K mount to show us if the perspective it would give compared to the Sigma @ 8mm. Maybe if you shot at 12mm on the Sigma (18mm equivalent) we would get a better picture of what the lens type introduces vs. the focal length and field of view using the 9mm FE on the M4/3 as the comparison point.
09-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You are also comparing an 18mm equivalent fisheye to a 12mm equivalent. I wish you had the 8mm Samyang in K mount to show us if the perspective it would give compared to the Sigma @ 8mm. Maybe if you shot at 12mm on the Sigma (18mm equivalent) we would get a better picture of what the lens type introduces vs. the focal length and field of view using the 9mm FE on the M4/3 as the comparison point.
I did back to back tests, and the field of view seems to be very close between the 9mm and the Sigma 8-16mm @ 8mm. From reviews I read, the Olympus was actually supposed to have a slightly wider angle of view than the Sigma, but I did not find this to be the case. Maybe it has something to do with the Pentax having a wider-shaped sensor than the m43.

Take a look at the two pictures above. They are both uncropped and shot from the same position (although apparently one is aimed slightly more to the left than the other). Are you seeing a significant difference in angle of view? Because to me, they look about the same.
09-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

I did back to back tests, and the field of view seems to be very close between the 9mm and the Sigma 8-16mm @ 8mm. From reviews I read, the Olympus was actually supposed to have a slightly wider angle of view than the Sigma, but I did not find this to be the case. Maybe it has something to do with the Pentax having a wider-shaped sensor than the m43.

Take a look at the two pictures above. They are both uncropped and shot from the same position (although apparently one is aimed slightly more to the left than the other). Are you seeing a significant difference in angle of view? Because to me, they look about the same.
FOV is always wider on the fisheyes. I didn't understand that to be the goal but now I understand you wanted to compare equivalent FOV. The 17mm end of the 10-17 Pentax might be wider than the 8mm Sigma as well. Now I understand. I still think based on what I see on realty sites that the Theta is the way to go. The 360 immersive interactive quality is just what people want.

09-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Maybe some realtors actually prefer these somewhat deceptive photos, to help get prospective buyers in the door, but I would find it annoying as a shopper, as did my parents.
They absolutely do These pictures are for advertising, not documentation.
09-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
They absolutely do These pictures are for advertising, not documentation.
Good point. I guess you don't want too much truth in advertising. So stretch the interior shots, and shrink the fashion models.
09-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter

So stretch the interior shots, and shrink the fashion models.
There you go. And with a little work that bit of grass can look like an amazing lawn
09-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Just for the sake of my own curiosity, I reshot the bedroom picture today, but this time I used a tripod to make sure that the camera position was identical between the two shots.

Using the flower vase on the left, and the white wall-mounted jewelry cabinet on the right, as points of reference, it appears to me that the two lens have nearly identical side-to-side angles of view. Perhaps the Olympus has just a hair more. But at the top of the frame the Olympus captures more of the scene, but that probably is due to the taller, more squarish shape of the m43 sensor.

You can also compare the size/shape of the gallon paint can on the floor to see evidence of how the two types of lenses capture a wide angle differently.