Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2015, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yet I post a thread asking about this and get every other response under the sun instead of directly answering the question. I'm looking for answers from people who have already done this (sent camera+lenses to Precision) to determine the value and quality they got from sending it to Precision specifically. I'm not looking for advice otherwise. I'm not looking to qualify my reasons for doing this. I'm not looking for other avenues. I just am looking for people who have done the same as I am considering to weigh in.
I think the good members here were simply trying to be helpful.

10-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #17
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Isn't it? I sympathize. My take is that most of the folks here who can spell calibration think this sort of thing is great fun and can't imagine outsourcing it. There seems to be no alternative for those of us who (correctly, based on years of experience) anticipate that attempting it would be torture, futile and probably counterproductive. Sometimes I feel like screaming, "What part of 'inept' do you not understand?!"
"anticipate"? you claim to have years of experience, but you've never tried calibrating the af on your camera? you may feel too inept to attempt it, but it's really not that difficult, people do it all the time.

putting expensive gear in a box and shipping it to a company that won't even answer their telephone is rolling the dice in a major way.

perhaps you and the o.p. could look for a local camera repair company that can do these simple focus adjustments? it's not like parts need to be ordered.
10-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It is. But no one is answering my question. Please stay on target.
I can't answer your question because I haven't done it with Precision. I have done it with CRIS way back and cost me nothing because the body and lens were still under warranty. That said, with the "less than positive" thoughts about Precision lately do you really want to deal with them? Why not send it to Eric instead since we're only talking about calibration?
10-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
people do it all the time.
Yep and props to 'em but, after 70+ years, I've learned to recognize things that are going to turn out to be an exercise in frustration for me--even if they're a piece of cake for others.

Anyway, I figure that I'd be better off paying some local gear-head to do the job rather than sending all my lenses and bodies off to Precision or some such but the fact is that my lenses seem plenty sharp and there are other facets of photography in which I can more effectively invest my time and energy.

10-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OP, looks like nobody here has concrete experience with that service centre. So they try to offer alternatives.
Anyway, I guess your best bet is to look for online reviews and simply calling that place. Hope you get things sorted out. You can even report back if/when you do.
10-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Using a target and the lens opened all the way, with the camera on a tripod, an evaluation is made based on the resultant photo. The camera has the fine focus adjusted via the menu and the process is repeated until the focus is acceptable.
Not the same. AF fine adjust is a rough tool. A true calibration is done on the lens at different combinations of distance and (for zooms) focal length*. If there are underlying alignment or optical issues, those are dealt with. Doing so requires instrumentation similar to that used in the factory. Only when the lens is made proper is the body brought into the mix.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
OP, looks like nobody here has concrete experience with that service centre. So they try to offer alternatives.
Perceptive of you! In the past this sort of thing would have been done at the Pentax service facility in Boulder by factory-trained techs. With the shutdown of that facility the required tools were transferred first to CRIS in Arizona and then on to Precision in Connecticut. It is anyone's guess how good either facility was or is at the task.

Steve

* Owners of the Sigma USB lens "Dock" know only too well how involved the process can be.
10-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #22
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not the same. AF fine adjust is a rough tool. A true calibration is done on the lens at different combinations of distance and (for zooms) focal length*.
i don't own sigma, but can the sigma dock do that?

If there are underlying alignment or optical issues, those are dealt with.
that sort of thing should be visible with standard testing by the end user, i do it on every piece of glass that i have.

for instance, i was able to identify slight decentering at 200mm on the tamron 150-600mm, but since i don't need that fl on that lens, i'm not doing a thing to address the issue... shipping it off to tamron could result in damage and/or it coming back worse than it already is; same with returning it for another lens with the vendor.

these people that want to ship off boxes full of their gear, for no real reason, are inviting trouble
10-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #23
Site Supporter

i don't own sigma, but can the sigma dock do that?
Yes, that is part of what it is for. (For the record, I don't own the Dock...yet.)

Steve

10-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter

that sort of thing should be visible with standard testing by the end user, i do it on every piece of glass that i have.
Good idea! Final results inspection may or may not detect a centering or alignment issue for one of the floating elements in an internal-focus or complex zoom lens. That is the presumed a possible cause for those cases reported here on the forum of perfect AF fine adjust at 20' only to have the lens fail miserably at 20 yards.

Steve
10-04-2015, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #25
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I know I will never send both my camera and lens off unless there is a major problem I cannot fix myself.
Why not?

---------- Post added 10-04-15 at 05:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I think the good members here were simply trying to be helpful.
Pointing me to the homepage of Precision and (essentially) telling me to do my own work is not helpful. It is the opposite of helpful.

---------- Post added 10-04-15 at 05:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
OP, looks like nobody here has concrete experience with that service centre. So they try to offer alternatives..
Not the same. AF fine adjust is a rough tool. A true calibration is done on the lens at different combinations of distance and (for zooms) focal length*. If there are underlying alignment or optical issues, those are dealt with. Doing so requires instrumentation similar to that used in the factory. Only when the lens is made proper is the body brought into the mix.

Perceptive of you! In the past this sort of thing would have been done at the Pentax service facility in Boulder by factory-trained techs. With the shutdown of that facility the required tools were transferred first to CRIS in Arizona and then on to Precision in Connecticut. It is anyone's guess how good either facility was or is at the task.
Yes. And thank you for these responses. I think this is pretty much it on both accounts.