Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Precision body+lens calibration?

Has anyone here sent their camera body and multiple lenses to Precision together to get calibrated? That is to ask, do they provide this service? If so, what is the cost they charged you? Covered by warranty?

10-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not do it yourself?

What body do you have?
10-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #3

How can you do it yourself?
10-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using a target and the lens opened all the way, with the camera on a tripod, an evaluation is made based on the resultant photo. The camera has the fine focus adjusted via the menu and the process is repeated until the focus is acceptable.

I have done it for all my cameras and lenses.

Yvon Borque, a member here has created a target and detailed instructions that can be downloaded for a very small sum. Also several commercial targets can be purchased. If you have a K10 it is a bit more difficult, but quite doable. There are also several detailed threads here about how to adjust the fine focus. It is after 11pm for me. I'll point you toward those threads late Saturday if others don't.

10-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Why not do it yourself?

What body do you have?

I appreciate you wanting to help, but I'm looking for Precision to handle it.
10-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
How can you do it yourself?
Here is the download location that I spoke of. It took me less than 10 minutes per lens after I set up the targets.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_44neE8iNsXUzRQSEpjRnpoYUU/view
10-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I appreciate you wanting to help, but I'm looking for Precision to handle it.
that should be a last resort option.

10-04-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that should be a last resort option.
It is. But no one is answering my question. Please stay on target.
10-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #9

It is. But no one is answering my question. Please stay on target.
DIY Internet searching:
Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair
10-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Amarony Quote
Wow.. you send me to the front page of Precision. Come on.

Besides they don't communicate well.. hence why I'm here. This is becoming frustrating..
10-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Besides they don't communicate well.. .
Have you tried calling them?
10-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is becoming frustrating..
Isn't it? I sympathize. My take is that most of the folks here who can spell calibration think this sort of thing is great fun and can't imagine outsourcing it. There seems to be no alternative for those of us who (correctly, based on years of experience) anticipate that attempting it would be torture, futile and probably counterproductive. Sometimes I feel like screaming, "What part of 'inept' do you not understand?!"
10-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't know aof anyone offering this as a service. Calibration will deteriorate, so no service provider will want to guarantee that it his work will be adequate over time.
It's a DOY project and requires some thinking and some time.
During film days, exposure and color were fixed by labs, alignment of lenses and viewfinders was done by manufacturers. Today, the suer has to do it all.
10-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Isn't it? I sympathize. My take is that most of the folks here who can spell calibration think this sort of thing is great fun and can't imagine outsourcing it. There seems to be no alternative for those of us who (correctly, based on years of experience) anticipate that attempting it would be torture, futile and probably counterproductive. Sometimes I feel like screaming, "What part of 'inept' do you not understand?!"
Oh Yes!

And I've done several different modes of calibration... I'm not 100% confident in the results. I want a company that is dedicated to repair and (I think) calibration to handle this. This is what tons of pros do with other systems (Canon Nikon..). But they have a professional services team. I'm no professional, I just want my camera gear as calibrated and sharp as it can be... by someone who does this daily.

Yet I post a thread asking about this and get every other response under the sun instead of directly answering the question. I'm looking for answers from people who have already done this (sent camera+lenses to Precision) to determine the value and quality they got from sending it to Precision specifically. I'm not looking for advice otherwise. I'm not looking to qualify my reasons for doing this. I'm not looking for other avenues. I just am looking for people who have done the same as I am considering to weigh in.

But I'm guessing not too many people do this in Pentaxland... hmmmmmmm.
10-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But I'm guessing not too many people do this in Pentaxland... hmmmmmmm.
Over the years a number of people have reported doing this, usually at the request of the repair facility. It doesn't happen often. Others have given you the reason why - we do it ourselves. Feel free to test Precision for us. There might be people here interested in the results. I know I will never send both my camera and lens off unless there is a major problem I cannot fix myself.