Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2015, 12:05 AM   #1

Pentax K-50 Vibrating, whirring, then freezing up!

I just bought a Pentax K-50, and used it tonight to get northern lights shots. It was about 37 degrees outside. I was using anywhere from 5 second to 30 second exposures. It kept making this awful rumbling vibration for anywhere between 1 and 5 seconds, and then either take the picture or freeze up completely. If I took out the battery and reinserted it, sometimes that would solve it for a bit, but not always. Any thoughts?

10-07-2015, 04:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pianomam Quote
I just bought a Pentax K-50, and used it tonight to get northern lights shots. It was about 37 degrees outside. I was using anywhere from 5 second to 30 second exposures. It kept making this awful rumbling vibration for anywhere between 1 and 5 seconds, and then either take the picture or freeze up completely. If I took out the battery and reinserted it, sometimes that would solve it for a bit, but not always. Any thoughts?

I can think of only a couple things that would make that kind of noise. The shake reduction system could be haywire or something is out of whack with the autofocus. Try turning it to manual focus to see it the noise goes away, and try turning off shake reduction. A factory reset might be helpful but if the issue persists you will need to get it repaired or replaced. Good luck.
10-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #3

Mine did something similar to what you describe once. It was pretty scary. I took the battery out for an hour or two then reinserted a fully charged battery and things worked again. It locked up on me a couple of months ago and the same thing worked. No guarantees but I would give it a long rest without the battery and see if that might help.
10-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I've had that happen to me a few times on manual lenses, when I re-enable SR in menus but forget to change the FL. The SR goes bananas, maybe something similar?