Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 01:15 AM   #1

Light bands at top and bottom of frame: help please

I have a Pentax K1000 that has light bands at the bottom and top of the frames. Not on all images (I think, maybe they are just less noticeable sometimes) I'm wondering what could make them?

When I bought the camera it was supposed to be cleaned, lubed, and adjusted, with new seals and I'm wondering if this is a seal issue.

Can anyone help?

Here is the link to the photo on flickr

10-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

This looks like a light leak. Three most likely causes:
  • Film door seals
  • Worn felt on film cartridge (common when bulk-loading)
  • Light leak during processing
You can (and should) test the door seals yourself. Take a toothpick or similar thin sliver of wood and touch the seal material. It should be resilient to your touch. It should not be hard, crumbly, or sticky. Check that the film door itself seats cleanly into its grooves and is not obviously sprung. The most likely point of failure are the seals on the hinge side. Confirm that the thin flat felt strip is in place adjacent to the hinge itself.

The appearance of the negative itself as well as the rest of the roll provide clues.

Steve
10-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you leave the film for an extended period in the camera? For a localized leak this would appear too regular. Are you sure the bands are there in the negatives? They might be some kind of scanning artefacts.
10-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

This looks like a light leak. Three most likely causes:
  • Film door seals
  • Worn felt on film cartridge (common when bulk-loading)
  • Light leak during processing
You can (and should) test the door seals yourself. Take a toothpick or similar thin sliver of wood and touch the seal material. It should be resilient to your touch. It should not be hard, crumbly, or sticky. Check that the film door itself seats cleanly into its grooves and is not obviously sprung. The most likely point of failure are the seals on the hinge side. Confirm that the thin flat felt strip is in place adjacent to the hinge itself.

The appearance of the negative itself as well as the rest of the roll provide clues.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I'll do that when I can and check back.

---------- Post added 10-09-15 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Did you leave the film for an extended period in the camera? For a localized leak this would appear too regular. Are you sure the bands are there in the negatives? They might be some kind of scanning artefacts.
No...fresh film, shot in one day.

Not actually sure that it wasn't something other than the camera now that you mention it. I'll keep an eye on the next set of negatives just in case.

10-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Are you sure the bands are there in the negatives? They might be some kind of scanning artefacts.
Yes, indeed! Light leaks in the film chamber or pre/post exposure will almost always show as fog extending beyond the frame boundaries on the negative.

Steve
10-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hmmm....I just sent my camera off to Eric Hendrickson to check and then proceeded to develop another roll from that camera and what do you know? No banding at all. Lol...

Well, in any case, I guess he'll check it out and let me know if anything has to be done with it.