Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K3 ii - Samyang 14mm - First Impressions

Hello Friends,

Thanking you for the great advise. I need your help again.

Took the delivery of Pentax K3ii and Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lens has arrived.

First impression of Pentax K3ii is.... a solid built camera. Impressive. Also love the noise of shutter release button.
First impression of Samyang 14mm is... Heavy lens. build quality looks good.

Now i want to check both these items are performing well. Before i take them on overseas tour. So arrived early today from office. Follow the instructions came with Samyang lens.

- Pentax K3ii - Focus is set to Manual focus
- Dial is set to Av priority
- Samyang lens - Aperture ring is set on A
- In Pentax K3ii menu option; disable the use of Lens Aperture ring. (By default it is disable)
- Mounted the lens (It took longtime to find a orange dot on samyang lens)
- Power on the camera. It is prompting for the focal length. Selected 15mm.
- went to the backyard and took following shots. Full size images are loaded at following link. Experts pls review these photos and confirm that quality of both the items are good and no replacement is needed.

None of these images are post-processed. Only Black & White is generated by my Android phone automatically from this Picasa collection.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103082732295705365442/PentaxK3iiSamyang14mmComb...eat=directlink

Each time, i power-off and power-on the Camera, it prompts me for the focal length selection. Is it normal? Should i continue with this? Or there is anyway, i can disable this prompt? I have read various websites on the topic. But no clear answer on this.

Thanking you so much for your support.
Best Regds

Attached Images

10-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #2

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual focus lens or no lens (on the K5ii I have) will always ask for the FL when turning on.
10-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because there are no electronic contacts, besides the A function, the camera has no way to know what the FL of the lens is, so you have to re-enter it each time. Its for shake reduction, and maybe exif data.
10-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking good, Amazing Universe ... enjoy!

10-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have SR turned off the last FL entered is used for EXIF.
10-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks good, though I'd practice using focus peaking in the live view focusing aids. Looks like you were shooting wide open (f 2.8)? Your images look sharp already, but the lens will probably get sharper until f5.6-f8 depending on how much you want to be in focus. Looks like you have a good copy! Congrats!
10-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your support and positive feedback.

10-14-2015, 01:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

cool, flowers look good..
seems like a nice lens!

regarding focus: personally i don't use live view & focus peaking.
the red dots indicating the focus point in the viewfinder works fine for me. I rarely go out of focus.. & it preserves my battery.
10-14-2015, 02:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You'll need live view with magnification to nail good focus at this length in manual. Manual lenses are only accurate for focus indication with the centre point.

You've got it all working well and based on my experiences with the K7 and Samyang 14, you're going to experience some serious resolution!! For anything other than landscapes that are well stopped down then you need very careful focusing on powerful close foreground subject matter.

For landscapes I've had the best results on a tripod, and using magnified live view I find something at a near hyper -focal distance and get it really sharp at 8x magnification on the screen .... Then take the shot , either in live view or with mirror up and remote control, at f13.