Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

Will this lense work with Pentax ist DL2?

Hi

I am new to digital photography and have just bought a used Pentax ist DL2 6.1 MP Digital SLR Camera to start, I have spotted this lens on e-bay
AUTO CHINON multi-coated 28-50mm Pentax K-Mount / PK Mount.

Will it work electronically with the above camera?

Thanks
Ken

10-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenw Quote
Hi

I am new to digital photography and have just bought a used Pentax ist DL2 6.1 MP Digital SLR Camera to start, I have spotted this lens on e-bay

Thanks
Ken
It will work, but only with stop-down metering, I believe. It's not an A-type lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And it would be manual focus
10-14-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Hi

Thanks
Ken
What the guys posting above me are saying is no.. it will NOT work electronically.

We have a lens review database here on the PentaxForums. That lens actually has an entry if you were interested: Chinon 28-50mm F3.5-4.5 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

---------- Post added 10-14-15 at 06:21 PM ----------

I'd recommend an ordinary Pentax DA or DAL 18-55mm kit lens if you are new to digital. It is an Auto Exposure, Auto Focus lens and a wider range of focal lengths than the lens at which you are currently considering. It is also pretty decent of a performer for the money. (around 40-50 USD for a decent copy)

10-15-2015, 01:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi
Thanks for the replies and the suggestion.
I did look at the Chinon 28-50mm F3.5-4.5 Lens on the data base, but was a bit confused as it did not say Auto Focus on it.
10-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ricoh Rikenon P zoom 35-70mm

Would the above work with the camera set in P mode?
10-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

No. Not if you are wanting auto focus and other electronic coupling.

When you are looking at a lens, one of the things to look at is if the lens has the connections for the electronics and the focus motor. If the lens you are looking at does not have the electronic couplers and focus motor mount then, it could be used but only in manual mode. That is manual focus and stop down metering.

If you are looking for a lens to use with your DL2 that are inexpensive, here are three that would work;

Pentax AF 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 SMC FA AL Lens 28-80/3.5-5.6 - Autofocus - SLR Lenses - Used Lenses

Pentax AF 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 SMC Takumar F Lens - Autofocus - SLR Lenses - Used Lenses

Pentax DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 SMC AL Lens 18-55/3.5-5.6 - Autofocus - SLR Lenses - Used Lenses

10-17-2015, 02:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
Is this the differnce?

Sorry to keep asking silly questions, but dslr is a bit different to the "Kodak Box Brownie" I started out with and the SLR 35mm I had about 20 years ago..
I have attached a couple of pictures am I right that the first one shows the correct contacts for all operations and the other would work as a manual lens.
Ken
Attached Images

Last edited by Kenw; 10-17-2015 at 02:39 AM. Reason: ADDED a picture
10-17-2015, 05:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sorry to keep asking silly questions, but dslr is a bit different to the "Kodak Box Brownie" I started out with and the SLR 35mm I had about 20 years ago..
I have attached a couple of pictures am I right that the first one shows the correct contacts for all operations and the other would work as a manual lens.
Ken

Yes the photo on the top has all the contacts and the focus motor control (contact, screw end, whatever you want to call it), while the bottom photo only has the contact for the aperture but it is still a manual focus lens.

Not a silly question, this is how you learn.
10-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #10

Original Poster
Another question

I can find KA type lenses for not a lot of money on e-bay, I do not have a problem with manual focus as everything on the old SLR was manual.
The question I have now is:-

What setting should I have on the camera?

Thanks to everybody who replied.

Ken