Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is artifact on the second image
You don't mean the bumblebee, do you?

I selected the best and worst from that roll. The orangey fence boards in the background of the second image are actually closer to chocolate brown. The greens in the first image are fairly close, but the fruit is shinier in real life. The lowest cost automatic processing, whether for scans or prints, is typically disappointing and when I get my old slides scanned, I pay more for higher resolution and I seem to get better results. I would be ashamed to post any of the images I scanned myself with a flatbed scanner and a transperancy adapter, hence my comment about getting a good scanner and being prepared to put a lot of time into getting good results. I like the luminousity of slides projected on a screen and I have a real fondness for Ektachrome colouring, but I'm never going back to film.

10-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
As for when it was possible to print color slides directly to print, think the early 1970's.
Any lab in Vancouver that I used in the 1970's to early 2000's used an inter-negative when they made an enlargement from my Kodachrome 35mm slides. The inter-negative size varied according to the print size.

As digital grew in the early 2000's Kodak stopped producing the inter-negative film.

Phil.
10-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #18
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Any lab in Vancouver that I used in the 1970's to early 2000's used an inter-negative when they made an enlargement from my Kodachrome 35mm slides. The inter-negative size varied according to the print size.

As digital grew in the early 2000's Kodak stopped producing the inter-negative film.

Phil.
As I mentioned, I was doing this at home no lab for me. The name changed, but the process was developed in the 1940's. I still have a few prints laying around somewhere - mostly from Fujichrome 100 and one or two from Kodachrome. Digital killed Cibachrome/Ilfochrome too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilfochrome

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
10-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
As I mentioned, I was doing this at home no lab for me. The name changed, but the process was developed in the 1940's. I still have a few prints laying around somewhere - mostly from Fujichrome 100 and one or two from Kodachrome. Digital killed Cibachrome/Ilfochrome too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilfochrome

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
You were lucky, I would have loved to do my own Cibachrome printing. But no space and no money to do it, so I had to use local labs.

I was at the Eastman Kodak museum in Rochester and they had some Cibachrome prints, truly amazing!.

Phil.

10-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I have a real fondness for Ektachrome colouring, but I'm never going back to film.
As you said, really no need for you to shoot film.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I only dropped out of shooting film (nearly 100% slides) for a few years before I got my K-30 and I was only taking pictures to get souvenirs of my life instead of creating art, so my experience is probably not the same as yours.