Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Quirky Tamron 90mm focusing

My Tamron is some 3-4 years ago and apart from some usage in the beginning, it has mostly been "collecting dust" because I've since then mostly shot at weddings and this lens is so darn noisy.

Last night I wanted to do some macro's and used the Tamron when I noticed the focusing travels out fine - but when it travels inwards, it sounds and behaves like a screwdriver on low battery.

I'm guessing it's been idle for too long - how can I get it in shape again without sending it in for servicing?

10-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the helical has become gunked up. That sound you are hearing is the in-body focusing motor struggling to turn the focus mechanism. You can try putting it on MF and focusing it in and out several (hundred) times to see if it loosens whatever has hardened in there, but if that doesn't work, it will probably require servicing to clean and relube.
10-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Use it. A LOT!!!

It's quite possibly the grease lubricating the internal focussing mechanism has got a bit hard. If giving the lens a work out for a few hours doesn't loosen it up, then it's in to a repairer for servicing.
10-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Alright, I'll use it more and see what happens.

10-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #5

Does the focussing feel different in each direction when the lens is off the body? There is not likely to be any lubricant in the focussing mechanism of an autofocus lens.
10-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, there often is light machine oil applied rather than the heavy greases used in earlier MF designs. Either that or delrin bushings on a post.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
Does the focussing feel different in each direction when the lens is off the body? There is not likely to be any lubricant in the focussing mechanism of an autofocus lens.
10-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The stuff I feel when turning the ring outwards, I bet is due to the buildquality/lens being made of plastic. When I turn it inwards however, it's much clearer, though still vague, that there is some resistance going on at one particular spot.

In AF it struggles a lot and the ring turns so slow at that particular spot, that you'd think it will stop altogether.

I've been turning it back and forth some 50 times maybe and don't feel like there is even the slightest of improvement.
10-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clear candidate for servicing in my book. Also you could overtax and finally kill the camera's focus motor if there is too much and prolonged resistance.

10-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Clear candidate for servicing in my book. Also you could overtax and finally kill the camera's focus motor if there is too much and prolonged resistance.
Good point - I might have to do just that then.