Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #1

Going Crazy Getting Manual Focus Lens to Work

I have a K-50 and a Sigma 35 - 200 mm K mount lens that's not auto focus. I've read a tutorial here about locking the aperture ring to A and changing the camera permission to allow this. Did those. But changing the green button value is eluding me. I can't find an option under any customization menu.

If someone knows how, I'd be very grateful. I'm starting to think this camera is too complicated for me.

Maybe it does have af. Unsure.

SIGMA ZOOM II 75-300mm 4.5-5.6 for Pentax K-af Mount

Last edited by Mass. Wine Guy; 10-17-2015 at 04:49 PM.
10-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You are getting your topics crossed up a bit. If the lens has an A setting on the aperture ring then set it and leave it there and it should operate like any modern lens with the exception of needing to focus manually. If you want to manually set aperture on a lens with the A setting you use the dials on the camera to change it electronically, not turning the ring on the lens.
The green button is used for lenses without the A setting where you have to set the aperture on the lens itself. Then you also need to set that permission in the camera since without the A setting the lens isn't communicating properly with the camera.
10-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
So the camera sets the aperture itself when the lens ring's on A. Do I then choose shutter speed? It just seems so complex.

Attach lens, turn on camera, set focal length and shutter speed. Do I set the camera on manual focus and shutter priority?

I knew I should have gone on to get that third college degree.
10-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mass. Wine Guy Quote
So the camera sets the aperture itself when the lens ring's on A. Do I then choose shutter speed? It just seems so complex.

Attach lens, turn on camera, set focal length and shutter speed. Do I set the camera on manual focus and shutter priority?

You definitely don't need a degree.

With the aperture set to A you can vary any of shutter speed, aperture and ISO with your camera's normal controls, no need to touch the lens again.

10-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as the aperture ring is set to A the camera will set the aperture. If you use Auto mode the camera will do everything for you. As for other modes it depends on what you are shooting. In the other modes you can adjust settings using the front and rear dials.
This is how my K50 is set up. You change what the front and rear dials do in the menus.
SV: Sensitivity Priority, front dial adjusts f stop, rear dial adust ISO, shutter speed changes according to adjustments.
TV: Shutter Priority, front dial adjusts shutter speed, rear dial adjusts ISO, shutter speed changes according to adjustments.
AV: Aperture Priority, front dial ISO, rear dial aperture, shutter speed changes according to adjustments
TAv: Shutter and Aperture Priority, front dial sets shutter speed, rear dial sets apeture, ISO changes according to adjustments.
You can set the green button to automatically set your settings to your program line or to automatically set your ISO to your current settings.
These settings are found in the menu on page 4 of the camera settings under E-Dial Programming.

If using lenses without an A setting you can use the green button to stop the lens down to take a meter reading for correct exposure. This is only necessary for manual lenses with no A setting.

Hope this helps some.

Michael
10-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

couple of links that helped me when I started using manual lenses on my K-50:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.com
10-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do you have your camera manual? If not, you can download a copy from:

Ricoh Japan: K-50 Manual (English)

Beyond that:
  • Put the aperture ring on the lens on the "A" position and confirm that it is locked in that position. There should be a small lock button on the ring.
  • Mount the lens on your camera
  • Turn the camera on and confirm the aperture and not "F--" is displayed on the rear LCD.
  • Turn AF on using the switch on the side of the camera
  • Put the mode button on "P" and shoot pictures of something stationary and in good light. They should be reasonably well exposed and in focus.
With an auto-focus lens and the aperture ring on the "A" position, your kit should work the same as with the lens that shipped with your camera.

Steve

10-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks very much, everyone.

Good to know I can use auto mode. I'll see what I can do, though I'm still unsure about this camera.
10-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks very much, everyone.

Good to know I can use auto mode. I'll see what I can do, though I'm still unsure about this camera.
I don't think you're in any worse position than all of us when learning to use our first "real' camera.

Just leave it in 'P' mode if you want to use it as a very good Point and Shoot camera.

Try some things as your confidence picks up.
10-18-2015, 05:07 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't distress too much. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help you out. The K50 is a great camera.
10-18-2015, 05:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Somewhere in the recesses of my memory with the K30/K50 if one wants to use apertures with A lenses or use S or M lenses one not only needs to change the C menu setting to A permitted but also go to page 2 of the E dial programming and change the first line(?) toTV shift which if remembered correctly allows for pressing the green button to stop down.

Edit: I found this on the Ricoh site this may help you also;
http://support.us.ricoh-imaging.com/node/1536

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 10-18-2015 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Added information
10-18-2015, 05:45 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hmm. Ok. Maybe I'll try taking it with me on vacation. But I'm leaning toward returning it for an OM-D M 10.

Thanks, all.
10-18-2015, 05:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep asking questions if needed you will find plenty of friendly people here. Give this a try to.
Pentax K-50 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
10-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm. Ok. Maybe I'll try taking it with me on vacation. But I'm leaning toward returning it for an OM-D M 10.

Thanks, all.

why?

will the Olympus be magically-easier to use with manual lenses?
10-18-2015, 06:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, all.
That is a nice camera but it lacks weather sealing and the only advantage with manual focus lenses I can see is that having an EVF it can meter and focus in stopped down mode while giving you a bright viewfinder image.