Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2015, 05:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Be sure to unplug the cable from the camera before you load the camera back into your camera bag - I now have to use my card reader to get pictures off my k100d. Whoops. Undeterred by my buffoonery, I do use the cable on my k5iis. I've developed the habit of unplugging as soon as I'm done copying.

With either the card reader or the camera, I do a straight copy to a folder on the desktop. Then I import to Lightroom from there. The previews pop up much faster if LR is reading from an ssd or hard drive and the camera is on and plugged in to the usb no longer than necessary.

10-19-2015, 06:05 AM   #17
amateur dirt farmer...

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
As a PC tech if I told you how often USB ports fail from repetitive use...............beyond that I can think of too many disadvantages.
since this is a thread of USB-cable vs card-readers, perhaps you could share a bit more that this?
10-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
and that you could knock the camera off the desk (that's a stretch to me)
It has happened.
Guy at work had a 5DmkII connected to a laptop, he took off with the computer and the *anon feel to the floor lens first. The 24-70mm L-glass was toast.
edit: I use USB cable. If the connector ever fails I can revert to using a card reader
10-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I kept a USB cable fixed to my PC and secured to my desk - did that transfer for many years. About 1 yr ago, i decided to switch to using the card via card reader and though both are convenient, I prefer the fixed cable and am going to switch back now. I think the cards are more prone to failure than the jack or cable. I did on a few occasions slide the card in wrong and it jammed - man that could have been a problem. Otherwise, just go with your personal preference.
The other potential benefit is if you are never removing the card from the camera, you will never accidentally leave for your shoot with the card missing from the camera. I have done that once.

10-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a card reader for 2 reason's. Valid or not, i don't know, but they're good enough for me.

1. On the K-30 The usb flap seems rather flimsy, and can be difficult to get seated back in right. The card door seems sturdier, and better designed for multiple "openings"

2. I have experienced usb port's breaking from repeated use, often, no, but more then once. I had to send a jambox back to the company for repair because the contacts in the port got hosed up, and wouldn't take a charge anymore. Sane thing has happened on a rechargeable battery gizmo.

although, having said that, if i don't have a card reader with me, i won't think twice about using the cable.
10-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
since this is a thread of USB-cable vs card-readers, perhaps you could share a bit more that this?
Inserting a cable into a port enough times using force (however minimal) will eventually cause a breakdown in a certain percentage of ports. I am not saying that cause a problem for any users at - I am not pentax quality control......

But previous people here have commented on how their card readers have died from repeated use. I would rather replace a card reader then have to have my connections on my camera replaced because of the port not being connected good enough at the factory to withstand 100's of connections.

Maybe leaving the card in the camera and downloading this way is better for the life of the camera then repeatedly removing the card and doing it the way I am doing it. That wasn't the question though. :P
10-19-2015, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
The other potential benefit is if you are never removing the card from the camera, you will never accidentally leave for your shoot with the card missing from the camera. I have done that once.
If you've only done this once, you're a better man than I

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Inserting a cable into a port enough times using force (however minimal) will eventually cause a breakdown in a certain percentage of ports. I am not saying that cause a problem for any users at - I am not pentax quality control......

But previous people here have commented on how their card readers have died from repeated use. I would rather replace a card reader then have to have my connections on my camera replaced because of the port not being connected good enough at the factory to withstand 100's of connections.
This seems like a trade between wear on the camera's usb port with wear on the camera's sd card slot. I wonder which is rated for more insertions? Or if anyone has ever worn out a camera's sd card slot?

In any case, this is one reason I wouldn't mind built in wifi being standard on cameras. While waiting to transfer the files over wifi we could all discuss which method we prefer over a cup of coffee or other beverage.
10-19-2015, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

If you are concerned about the camera USB port or the camera card slot breaking, the safe bet is to start using USB. After USB breaks the camera should still work and you can transition to a card reader. Wear out the card slot first and the USB is moot because you can't save your photos to the card.

10-19-2015, 09:34 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If you are concerned about the camera USB port or the camera card slot breaking, the safe bet is to start using USB. After USB breaks the camera should still work and you can transition to a card reader. Wear out the card slot first and the USB is moot because you can't save your photos to the card.
I use focused mental energies to merge the files into an alternate dimension from which I pick them directly to the computer hard drive surface. No wear and no tear.

Steve
10-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #25
Site Supporter

As Mistlefoot says above ref USB ports failing, I too choose to use a card reader having had several USB ports fail over the years. Failure of pc usb ports have also taken out motherboards and other I/O cards as well, so I choose not to risk my cameras' ports. I take the protection of the ports a little further by have short 15cm extension cables hanging from my PC ports which I plug in a card reader's cable, this prevents damage to the ports and I've never had any problems with device read/write errors caused by these short extensions.

In relation to card readers, has anyone had any success with Lexar 'Professional' (ha ! ha!) readers ? I'm on my second that was regularly filling my system logs with paging errors. Lexar support was hopeless - ok when offering simple advice, but useless when it got more complicated, or perhaps they did not want to admit the problem ? Their device/firmware is very flaky, in my opinion. The paging errors may not be noticed unless you go and look for them, but explain, in my case, why the device goes slow so often. I've abandoned it and gone back to a reliable SanDisk reader.
10-20-2015, 01:47 AM   #26
Lev

Another reason why I prefer to use USB cable over pulling out sd cards every time is that the card door is WR, so I think it's better to just put there cards and leave this mechanism alone or use it when it is very important