Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
The advice listed by those above is good. Since you are new at photography, why don't you set up experiments and learn something? After all, experience is generally a better teaching mechanism than reading. So try this: Buy a tripod and take photos at different shutter speeds ranging from 1/250 sec. all the way down to one second. Then, take the camera off the tripod and do the same thing. You can shoot all the photos with the shake reduction if you want. Compare the photos only for the purpose of seeing where there is camera blur. You will quickly find out at what shutter speed you can be comfortable shooting with your lens.

Then try another experiment: Shoot moving people with different shutter speeds to determine what stops the action. You will find out that some movement requires 1/1000sec. or faster (like dolphins swimming next to your boat), others require 1/60 sec., etc. At some shutter speeds, say 1/30 sec., individuals at rest may be "sharp" but their moving hands may be blurred. Obviously, the focal length of the lens will make a difference.

In the film days it was expensive to experiment. Today, it is cheap since the entire sunk cost of a card in minimal. So, experiment!

10-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I remember shooting through a roll of film 30 years ago where I did nothing but experiment with different shutter speeds to freeze subjects. Since I lived on a busy street I just photographed the cars driving by. My shutter speeds went from 1/1000 to 1s. The effect on moving cars is very dramatic. I also photographed water spraying and sputtering from a garden hose. When feasible, I fired a flash too. I learned a lot from this quick, empirically driven experiment. You can do the same thing and get instant feedback from your digital body. I had to wait a week until I could pick up my prints.

To counteract blur from unsteady hands, the general rule of thumb that says your minimum shutter speed ought to be 1/(focal length) works well. Shutters speeds on crop sensors ought to be multiplied by the crop factor. Our Pentax bodies have a crop factor of 1.5x so your minimum shutter speed ought to be 1/(focal length * 1.5). Now, if you want to freeze motion then your shutter speed should be even higher, somewhere from 1/250 on up - at least! - depending on the subject. A wobbly toddler who is learning to sit? Maybe 1/250 would be OK. A slow walking person from afar? 1/500th be enough. A fast running puppy or athlete? Definitely 1/1000!

When you bought your digital system you paid for every shot you will ever take. Click away and experiment. Use the feedback from the LCD and image preview on your camera. Experiment! The hard part is not the cost. You've already taken care of that when you bought the camera. It's the time.
10-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anthony Quote
I'm still in learning mode; this blurring mess happens too often. What am I doing wrong / what can I do better?
Increase your shutter speed (and probably also the ISO).

This might prove helpful:
Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anthony, to freeze your moving subjects you'll have to crank up the shutter speed, but you'll also need to hold the camera properly or use a monopod/tripod to fix your shaky hands - compare the stationary blackboard in your shot with Just1MoreDave's.

10-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Don't stop the lens blur! 500px now likes it:https://iso.500px.com/embrace-the-blur-go-try-long-exposure-street-photograp...et-photography
10-24-2015, 05:16 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote

True! Blur has always been a part of photography. The trick is in learning how to control it.
10-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anthony, how about posting some images using all the advice we just shouted at you?