Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Pentax Spotmatic ES11 problem

I have a pair of Pentax ES11 cameras. I've never been able to make the first one work, even when I put batteries in (AG13s) the light meter and electronic shutter does not work. I assumed it was broken. Now I've aquired a second ES11 and have the same issues. Am I missing something?

10-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gordon Lafleur Quote
I have a pair of Pentax ES11 cameras. I've never been able to make the first one work, even when I put batteries in (AG13s) the light meter and electronic shutter does not work. I assumed it was broken. Now I've aquired a second ES11 and have the same issues. Am I missing something?
I'm not sure.
But this may help:
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/esii_ps.pdf
10-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Thanks, I've already looked, it didn't help
10-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you setting shutter speed manually? According to a post in this thread,
QuoteQuote:
The four 1.5 volt batteries fit in a row under the lens mount under a long cover. As mentioned, the manual speeds are limited to 1/60 125,250,500,1000 and if you use them, the light meter is disabled. You will have to use sunny 16 or another light meter.
Of course that wouldn't explain the shutter not working.

10-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The shutter not working after completely winding the lever is a strange tangle. Something is not working for sure. A broken spring? A broken gear? Those assemblies are usually pretty reliable.

The light meter in the Electrospotmatics only worked with more "modern" Takumar lenses that had an aperture arm or you had to use stop-down metering. You may be railed at 1/1000 if you have too much light coming in.
10-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The shutter not working after completely winding the lever is a strange tangle. Something is not working for sure. A broken spring? A broken gear? Those assemblies are usually pretty reliable.

The light meter in the Electrospotmatics only worked with more "modern" Takumar lenses that had an aperture arm or you had to use stop-down metering. You may be railed at 1/1000 if you have too much light coming in.
The shutter works fine on manual speeds. Auto does not work. Even with new batteries