Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

KM shutter lock: bug or feature?

Hi all,

On the KM, I noticed you can lock down the shutter button by giving it a quarter-turn when it's fully depressed. Is this a feature for B mode photos? Or is it just gummy?

EDIT: I'm actually leaning towards gummy, since I noticed the shutter button sometimes won't pop back up... is there a way to fix this?

Last edited by Whateverist; 10-20-2015 at 01:12 PM.
10-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

First off...Do you have a K-m digital camera or a KM film camera? Shutter lock is not a feature of either camera, but how to do a fix will depend on which camera you own.

Steve
10-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
It's a KM film camera. Everything else appears to be working normally, it's just the shutter button itself that seems to chafe sometimes.
10-20-2015, 11:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Whateverist Quote
It's a KM film camera. Everything else appears to be working normally, it's just the shutter button itself that seems to chafe sometimes.
The KX is the next model up, and has a designed button lock. Your KM must be getting stuck by friction.

10-21-2015, 12:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The KX is the next model up, and has a designed button lock. Your KM must be getting stuck by friction.
Is there a fix for this?
10-21-2015, 12:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Whateverist Quote
Is there a fix for this?
Try squirting some WD40 into small container; just enough to dip a toothpick into. Touch the toothpick against the button so an imperceptible amount flows in. Oil can damage shutter curtains or get on aperture blades or glass, so be careful with lube.
10-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Try squirting some WD40 into small container; just enough to dip a toothpick into. Touch the toothpick against the button so an imperceptible amount flows in. Oil can damage shutter curtains or get on aperture blades or glass, so be careful with lube.
WD-40 is not a lubricant per se. It is mostly Stoddard solvent and has a tendency to migrate quickly. A camera tech would do a partial disassembly to expose the mechanism. The button should lift off with the top plate allowing you to inspect and evaluate its operation with out risk to the rest of the camera. The actual release is done with a shaft that goes through to the bottom of the camera. Removal of the bottom plate will allow you to inspect and evaluate its operation. I suspect something might be bent or out of alignment down there.

Steve
10-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A camera tech would do a partial disassembly to expose the mechanism
The K1000 manual at pentax-manuals.com should be adequate. I believe the KM and K1000 share shutter mechanism.

Pentax Manuals

Alternatively, a CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust) would likely correct the problem. The price would be in the $45-$60 range.

Steve

10-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
I don't feel comfortable opening up the camera. I'll shoot a roll, see if the problem is bad enough to bother me, and look into a CLA - though with the price I paid for the camera, I don't know if the cost would be justified just for this issue.