Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Some more pics of the mount,can see 1 screw bushing is partially stripped(though screw can tighten)
metal plate bent in 2 places,would need to make a jig to press it evenly ..easier to find a new one or 'borrow' from my K5II
the plastic is carbon fiber reinforced,according to another member here,so epoxy fill or a light cured material should fix it
all depends how much the service center wants & if I can get a new mount ring(as Ricoh will not sell to private anymore )
Hi Shanti.
I think I can help you with the metalring, if it is the same on the other models, But I am not home before the weekend, so I will find out if it is the same.
Regards Erik

10-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
Hi Shanti.
I think I can help you with the metalring, if it is the same on the other models, But I am not home before the weekend, so I will find out if it is the same.
Regards Erik
Hi Erik
Great..it looks like the one on my K5II,samme hole placement..you can PM me
10-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Assuming that you can get a replacement or straighten the extant mount, how can you verify that the mount has the right registration to the sensor and that it is parallel to the sensor?

I have done it many times with film cameras, using a micrometer with a flat, machined, tetragonal, brass rod measuring to a glass plate held against the film rails with the shutter held open.

I have no idea how to do that with I digital camera. If you measured to the filter, how thick is that? What is the air gap between that filter and the sensor? Is the front edge of the filter at the film plane or is it slightly behind it?

There are way too many variables to handle it properly and it is unlikely that you have the right tools.

This sounds like a repair shop with the knowledge and tools is the best path.
I understand what you say,but when I removed the 5 screws,there were no shims,so the plate was only contacting the plastic/carbon fiber bushings.So where can adjustments be made? The screws can only be torqued so much.If the material behind the screw bushings got warped,then I can see a problem. I will talk to the repair center tomm. & see what he says.
I would of thought Pentax was stronger in the mount area,maybe they skimped on materials on the K3II?? as my K5II has been dropped a bit & no problems at all
10-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter

FWIW, a similar thing happened to me a few months ago. I sent my K-3 in for servicing at Ricoh Canada's official service center. Cost of the repair was under $CAN300...

10-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter

I would of thought Pentax was stronger in the mount area,maybe they skimped on materials on the K3II?? as my K5II has been dropped a bit & no problems at all
It is funny how things happen. Sometimes you drop something and think that is the end, and no harm is done. Another time the object lands just a but differently and real damage occurs. I had my k-3 blow over while on the tripod right into some rocks. I thought it would be destroyed and yet hardly even a scratch.

Even people, how often do we fall or trip and just get right back up with no harm? And someone else just steps wrong and the foot or ankle is broken.

I recently had neck surgery to fix some disks. I asked the doctor what I had done wrong so I did not do anything like that again. His response was: bad luck. Nothing you did, sometimes it is just bad luck. I don't think Ricoh skimped on the k-3II, I think you just had really bad luck.
10-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear about the damage hope you can get it fixed!
10-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I understand what you say,but when I removed the 5 screws,there were no shims,so the plate was only contacting the plastic/carbon fiber bushings.So where can adjustments be made? The screws can only be torqued so much.If the material behind the screw bushings got warped,then I can see a problem. I will talk to the repair center tomm. & see what he says.
I understand you. A major point is that an injury strong enough to bend the metal plate on the outside of the body could be strong enough to slightly bend or compress the body or internal structures supporting the sensor. A tenth of a millimeter can cause issues. You already know that the mount cannot be held under equal pressure around the entire mount. Will that keep the mount flat and at the proper distance with the weight of the lens on it?

Assuming you get the lens mount and registration properly set up, then you need to consider possible slight mirror box alignment issues. Then comes the AF module, pentaprism, and eyepiece parts.

I'm sorry for you. It can be an expensive repair or check-up that can cost almost as much as a new camera. And the thought that will always remain in the back of your mind that the repair may not hold up or be good enough.
10-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Some more pics of the mount,can see 1 screw bushing is partially stripped(though screw can tighten)
metal plate bent in 2 places,would need to make a jig to press it evenly ..easier to find a new one or 'borrow' from my K5II
the plastic is carbon fiber reinforced,according to another member here,so epoxy fill or a light cured material should fix it
all depends how much the service center wants & if I can get a new mount ring(as Ricoh will not sell to private anymore )
Find a donor body.

Steve

10-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It is funny how things happen. Sometimes you drop something and think that is the end, and no harm is done. Another time the object lands just a but differently and real damage occurs. I had my k-3 blow over while on the tripod right into some rocks. I thought it would be destroyed and yet hardly even a scratch.

Even people, how often do we fall or trip and just get right back up with no harm? And someone else just steps wrong and the foot or ankle is broken.

I recently had neck surgery to fix some disks. I asked the doctor what I had done wrong so I did not do anything like that again. His response was: bad luck. Nothing you did, sometimes it is just bad luck. I don't think Ricoh skimped on the k-3II, I think you just had really bad luck.
At least they could fix your disks..I have degeneration on 3 disks on my lower back & no fix is possible (BAD luck? but was a gymnast long ago & that was reason doc said)
I was planning to get the FF this fall so in dilemma now,as if repair costs close to a new K3II price I must wait

---------- Post added 10-22-15 at 03:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I understand you. A major point is that an injury strong enough to bend the metal plate on the outside of the body could be strong enough to slightly bend or compress the body or internal structures supporting the sensor. A tenth of a millimeter can cause issues. You already know that the mount cannot be held under equal pressure around the entire mount. Will that keep the mount flat and at the proper distance with the weight of the lens on it?

Assuming you get the lens mount and registration properly set up, then you need to consider possible slight mirror box alignment issues. Then comes the AF module, pentaprism, and eyepiece parts.

I'm sorry for you. It can be an expensive repair or check-up that can cost almost as much as a new camera. And the thought that will always remain in the back of your mind that the repair may not hold up or be good enough.
Yes am afraid a bit as the 150-450 is my most used lens & its puts alot of strain on the mount..will know more when I talk to the service guy,who I know well in Sweden
10-22-2015, 04:28 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I sent my K-3 in for servicing at Ricoh Canada's official service center.
Briefly OT, what was your overall experience? I sent in a dead *ist-DL which they could NOT repair (electronics no longer available), but the response was fast and the communication excellent, and I'd have no hesitation in approaching them or recommending them to anyone else in Canada.

OP, I hope they can get this thing on the road for you at not too much cost. IIRC you said you have a K5-II also? If the repair cost is close to replacement then f I were in your shoes, I would get by on the backup body until the FF comes out.
10-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update from Pentax repair service..
Ring is same as K7-K3 models
if ring only is changed about $200
AF may have gone out of adjustment--not so $$ if just front focus or back focus needs help
ring screws--glue in with super glue!

so plan A is to put my K5II ring on the K3II & test AF & all other functions,if OK then just get the repair center to change the ring(as will not sell one to me) or find a spare somehwere
a bit worried as I use the 150-450 mostly & it is a strain on the mount..so if I pay alot to get it fixed & the lens gets it loose again then SOL... really hope the FF is built better!! as have taken about 20K pics with the K3 so far,& I can't see it holding to 100K or more with a heavy lens.,as before the accident the mount was getting a bit loose
10-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Briefly OT, what was your overall experience? I sent in a dead *ist-DL which they could NOT repair (electronics no longer available), but the response was fast and the communication excellent, and I'd have no hesitation in approaching them or recommending them to anyone else in Canada.
Same here: I also got excellent service from Sun Camera Service. Here's hoping the OP gets a similar outcome in Denmark...
10-22-2015, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update II
Just put the mount ring from my K5II on ,& all seems well..just to test corner sharpness,but AF is as it was...so a new ring maybe all I need hopefully the one hole that was a bit damaged I used a dental floss type filler string--so screw is snug
10-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Pentax K 5 Lens Mounting Ring Replacement Part | eBay

maybe this is useful?
10-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #30
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Update II
Just put the mount ring from my K5II on ,& all seems well..just to test corner sharpness,but AF is as it was...so a new ring maybe all I need hopefully the one hole that was a bit damaged I used a dental floss type filler string--so screw is snug

All in all, it seems the K3 is built pretty strong, if a fall like that with a heavy lens attached, only damed the mount ring!