Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trouble with the teleconverter

We have been on an extended trip and things were going well until the sigma 16-250 and the pentax 16-45 died within a day of each other. Both barrels seem to be fixed in place at about 50mm; we will send them off when we get home. The real heartbreaker though we when my 300 and the 1x4 teleconverter stopped focusing. At first it seemed to be intermittent then it stopped altogether.

I cleaned the contacts on everything. I switched batteries. I turned the camera off then on again (this seemed to give me a few more shots but then it stopped focusing again.) The 300 seems to work fine without the teleconverter on. Today, I put the teleconverter on a pentax 16-85 and, lo and behold, it worked fine. So, I put it back on the 300 and it started working again. For how long is anyones guess.

I am wondering if there is a communication problem between the 300 and the teleconverter that cropped up all of a sudden. Would a factory reset maybe solve the problem? I am running the latest firmware update.

Frustrating if it is the lens and/or the teleconverter. The thought of losing another lens does not do my blood pressure much good and has put a crimp in the old Pentax love I have been feeling. Not to mention it has also ruined bits of what was supposed to be a memorable 50th anniversary trip.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for would be appreciated.

Thanks, Susan.

10-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Could the camera be the issue with the TC? Dirty contacts confused electronics?

It is really odd that both the 18-250 and 16-45 died. You said they were both around 50mm? I assume 45 on the 16-45? Do you have any pictures? Did either lens fall recently or maybe clack together? Frozen like that may mean a dead bearing. The 16-45 is probably not worth the repair if you can't DIY it. There is one in the Marketplace that seems much less expensive than repair. Even the 18-250 may be easier to replace than repair unless you have access to someone with skills and parts that is feeling generous. I'm so sorry this happened particularly on this special trip. I'm in North Carolina - Charlotte area - if you need to borrow something and I'm close I will be happy to help out. Send me a PM if you are anywhere nearby.
10-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Could the camera be the issue with the TC? Dirty contacts confused electronics?
I thought that was the problem too except that it seemed to work fine with the DA 16-85. It is still working with the 300 after I remounted it (this morning). Is it possible that whatever was causing the problem (confused circuit) was corrected when I put the other lens on? I am just hoping that the problem doesn't return. I haven't heard of anyone else having the same thing happen.

I thank you for your kind offer of help. We are currently in New Mexico and just beginning to think about returning home so I will have to decline. We have a couple of wildlife refuges on our list on the way home so I am hoping that the darn TC doesn't quit on me again. We were at Bosque del Apache when the trouble began and that really, really hurt.
Thanks again for your offer. Pentatians are the best people.
10-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

When it failed could you still manually focus?

10-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes I could focus manually. It is still working by the way.
10-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Yes I could focus manually. It is still working by the way.
Good and good. At least if it glitches the option to continue taking photos is there albeit slower.
10-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Appreciate it.