Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #1

Pixel Shift

Hi everyone

I would love some advice on processing the Pixel shift raw files. I can't see anything with the supplies software that will let me see the four images separately . Is there an update for version 5.4 or do I need new software? I have lightroom and that just processes one raw file. I want to get the best out of this camera for landscape work.

Thanks Arlo

10-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the K-3II is designed to merge these images in camera so you don't have to do this in post processing. Of course, I could be wrong and there is maybe a way to see 4 separate files.
10-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
I think the K-3II is designed to merge these images in camera so you don't have to do this in post processing. Of course, I could be wrong and there is maybe a way to see 4 separate files.
Correct, having owned the K3II and processed many pixel shifted images - there is no way to "unbundle" so to speak the 4 shifted images from each other.
10-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ok thanks guys, does the effect work better in jpeg mode or does it not make any difference?

10-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

There is a way of seeing differences between the 4 images.
If you would like to see differences you need the dcrawps software, which I believe is available as a binary for Windows but only as source code for Linux and OSX.
For the differences you would use the -G and -X options...

-G <num> Green channel PS artifact detect threshold %% (default = disabled)
-X Mark green channel PS artifacts with a purple marker in the output

dcrawps provides an option to select 1 or all raw images in the file...

-s [0..N-1] or -s all
If a file contains N raw images, choose one or "all" to decode.
For example, Fuji Super CCD SR cameras generate a second image
underexposed four stops to show detail in the highlights.

This option may be able to used to extract each of the 4 PS images, but I haven't tried that.
dcrawps is a command line program, and is a patched version of David Coffin's dcraw.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Terry
10-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter

OK, I have just tried extracting each of the PS images using dcrawps, and it does it, but blowed if I can see any differences between the images.
It could be that it is simply extracting the same image each time, but it does seem to know that there are 4 as it throws an error if I use '-s 4' as an option.
Maybe I just need better pixel peeping methods to see the differences.
Anyway, as it stands dcrawps is probably the tool to use, if you need the 4 separate images.
If you want the best for lightroom, why not use DCU-5 to give you a 16 bit tiff and then load that into lightroom, it would have to be better than any of the 4 used to generate the tiff.

Cheers,
Terry

---------- Post added 10-22-15 at 04:29 PM ----------

Back again!
Just been looking at the individual images using gimp at 1000%, and differences in the individual pixels can be seen.
So there you have it, each of the 4 images can be extracted, if you must.

Cheers,
Terry
10-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Terry for your hard work.