Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Hi, I've been shooting the moon a while and have never noticed this before.

It's not perceivable without clarity boosting, but it shouldn't be happening this badly even with it, this is a very new issue.
The camera is a tool. It is not to blame for its user's actions.

The algorithm of "Clarity Boosting" amplifies detail by increasing its contrast relative to its background. Noise appears as random out-of-place pixels which you then amplified with the software. Try using noise reduction before boosting clarity.

10-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't really see a problem in the OP photo, except that there might be atmospheric interference and the focus might be slightly off.

That said, at such low light, there is a good chance that some areas have zero recorded light, so there is nothing but noise left. This makes noise more noticeable. And if you add contrast, sharpening, and especially brightness/exposure in post, this will also make noise more noticeable. I think the "Clarity" slider is a form of contrast and sharpening, so it can make things worse. You can try adding clarity only in some areas with the brush tool instead of raising clarity for the whole image
10-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
No, it must be you that's upside-down !
Well, it's hard to tell, my hair is curly so it doesn't show if I'm upside down or the right way up.
10-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #19

Um adding clarity will add noise.