Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2015, 07:47 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had the Arcatech GP for about 8 years now, along with their leveling base (for about 3 years). I use the leveling base under my Nodal Ninga Panorama head. Arcatech products are excellent and exceptionally well made. I do most of my shooting off a tripod - usually with the GP, although I did acquire a Manfrotto 410 for astro work, since fine adjustments are needed one axis at a time.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Arca Swiss Monoball is the mother and the father of all ball heads. Don't tell me it is no good and you have never tried it. It is solid, simple and just great. I use mine with Kirk quick release plate and will never need another ball head.

Go in a shop and try both heads head to head.
The closest head to head comparison that I know of was PanoGuy's ballhead review. I posed the same question here and he answered a couple of replies later.Here are some threads on comparing both of the heads...
I don't know that you can really make a bad choice between the two.

10-30-2015, 01:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
New Tripod thoughts
- a great link for starters.

It would be nice to see some posted pics of Arcatech/ArcaSwiss gear from members and some qualifications as to how they rate/use them.
10-30-2015, 04:44 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your interest and opinions , really a great community !
10-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
It would be nice to see some posted pics of Arcatech/ArcaSwiss gear from members and some qualifications as to how they rate/use them.
There are tripod and head reviews on the accessory review section of this site, but the number of products reviewed is quite limited. Part of the problem is the shear scale of available product. There are literally hundreds of tripod and tripod head brands and the models are constantly shifting.

In some ways, it is unfortunate that this thread was originally posted to the troubleshooting section of the site. It may have gotten a more focused response if it were in the field accessories area.

Steve

10-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
To muddy the waters some more, this thing looks real cool:

UniqBall webshop
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The 35 model is cheaper than the Acratech (and still holds 33lbs)...
It is a very real option, particularly for someone in Europe. Here in the U.S. the question of service/support should be a consideration. It is my understanding that UniqBall does not have a U.S. distributor that stocks small parts or provides service. Why would I say that? Well...I just happen to be waiting for a UniqBall QR plate to make its way across the Atlantic from Hungary. I ordered from B&H (one of two U.S. dealers) and it is not an item they stock.

Steve
10-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps the moderators could move this thread to the Field Accessories area, or does the OP have to request the switch?
10-31-2015, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the topic of maintenance - When I was purchasing my GP years ago, I called Acratech and wound up talking with the owner, chief machinist, designer, cook and bottle washer. Acratech products are fully guaranteed for 10 years. I asked if they had any problems - and he replied that they had collected several that have gone off of various mountain cliffs. I remembered that he also said that the tripods did not fair so well. They just swapped out the heads for new units. He had a small collection of these heads that he refers to for product improvement ideas.

There is not really much to fail on these things. They are computer machined high strength aircraft aluminum parts, with the knobs having a rubberized surface.